Chapter 37

"Ryker! Ryker, where are you?"

The shrill cry of a familiar voice tore through the detective's ears when he heard his name. He looked around, discombobulated by the endless darkness that surrounded him.

"Ryker!"

He felt his heart lurch when he recognized the voice followed by the distressed cry of a baby.

"Isabella?" he called back, looking around him with greater urgency. "Where are—"

His words died on his tongue when he turned. Not more than five yards away from him, Isabella stood in an ethereal white dress, her dark hair expertly arranged to flatter her features in the best possible way, glowing against the dark surrounding her. He looked down, noticing that she held a swaddled baby in her arms.

"Ryker, where are you?"

His gaze met her dark chocolate eyes, only to notice that they seemed to stare right through him. "I'm here," he answered and tried to step toward her, only to find that he couldn't move. He looked down but didn't see anything restraining him.

Isabella's large, dark eyes filled with tears. "Why did you leave us?"

He blinked, thoroughly confused as he looked back at her. "I didn't leave you. I'm right here." He tried to move toward her again, his efforts growing more urgent when he realized that his muscles still wouldn't cooperate.

A strangled cry escaped her lips. "How could you leave us!" she cried.

"I didn't!" he yelled back at her, frustrated that she didn't seem to hear him and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't seem to move, couldn't seem to get closer to her.

"How—?"

Her question was lost as a piercing scream suddenly tore from her throat. Ryker watched in horror as blood suddenly seeped through the spotless satin gown from the left side of her chest.

"No!" he screamed as he tried to run to her, panic finally forcing his limbs to move. He reached for her as she spluttered, blood gurgling in her throat, her eyes wide with terror, but as he did, his hands moved straight through her skin.

He watched, helpless as she fell, her dark eyes meeting his only for a moment before they closed, her body slumping to the floor, the baby disappearing with her in a cloud of ash.

Ryker felt as though his heart had stopped, and he collapsed to his knees as he stared at the ash on the ground. A cruel chuckle echoed around him, but heartbroken and dejected, he didn't react to it as he slowly looked up into the malicious grin on Damien's face.

Damien's chuckle continued to vibrate around him as he slowly raised a gun, aiming it between his eyes, "You can't win them all."

Utterly defeated, he did nothing to prevent him as the bullet was expended.

"Ryker!"

With a jolt, Ryker snapped awake in his seat. His heart felt like a bullet train in his chest, and a searing headache threatened to explode his skull as sweat streamed down his spine. He looked around, his breaths coming out in short, harsh pants when he realized he was in a hospital room.

A soft, feather-like touch rested on his hand. He jerked at the contact, his frenzied gaze snapping to the woman beside him. Isabella winced, and he glanced down, noticing her red, swelling fingers in his hand.

He let go of her instantly and stood, taking a few safe spaces away from the bed, his eyes wide. Only then did he realize what had happened, and the rare fact that he had fallen asleep in another person's presence in a place other than his bedroom, left him shocked and more than a little perturbed.