11

"Mechiah, if you don't quit, I'm going to call your father!" I fussed and he automatically stopped what he was doing. I never thought that having a son would be so hard. Girls, I could handle. But I've never had a little brother or been around growing boys. Well besides my nephew Pharaoh, whom I haven't seen in so long, but he was always quiet and shy. While Ky is rowdy and outspoken.

Thinking about my nephew reminded me of my sister and how we haven't talked in a long time. I've tried to get in contact with her but she ignores my calls. I know that what I said to her at dinner that night wasn't right. And I did miss her, so that's why I tried to make things right with us.

The cooking timer went off, bringing me from my thoughts. I pulled the baked mac and cheese from the oven as well as the sweet potato pie and sat them on top of the stove. Alex's mom decided to have a barbecue at my house today for Memorial Day. I had Alex go pick up some decorations and a few other items. He took the girls with him and left Mechiah with me. Ky was running around the kitchen, high off of some candy that mama gave him.

"Did I hear you fussing at my son?" Alex's voice boomed through the kitchen.

"Yes. He running around like he lost his mind." I tell him as I season the meat so he can put it on the grill.

"Boys will boys." Mama said making me roll my eyes, but she couldn't see because my back was to her.

"Mommy can I put the streamers on the banister?" Cree asked.

"Yes sweetie. Wrap all three colors together though first." I spoke. "Where's Karsen?" I asked Alex.

"In her swing." He says as he takes the pan of rib tips, chicken and pork chops away from me and headed through the glass door. I washed my hands off then went to get my baby.

"That looks good Cree." I praised and she smiled big at me. I pick up Karsen as she started speaking her baby language. "Hey baby girl." I coo, making her giggle. I put her on my hip and went back to the kitchen.

"She's getting so big." Mama told me as she stirred the pot of greens and ham hocks.

"I know ma. I can't believe she'll be 1 in a few months. Yesterday I caught her trying to walk. But she fell and gave up." I smiled. It seems like just the other day I was in the hospital giving birth and soon she'll be walking.

"Time flies." Mama said and I nodded my head in agreement.

"I finished ma. Nana can I help cook?" Cree asked as she came in the kitchen. Mama immediately put her to work after Cree washed her hands.

"Who all coming over?" Alex asked as he peaked into the kitchen and Ky copied him. I laughed at them because they looked like twins.

"Just a few people." Mama answered.

I sat in a chair in the backyard in my bathing suit with Karsen on my lap. I was feeding her Mac and cheese off of my plate as well as some greens. Everyone was having a good time. Sage, Cherice and Patience came through. Patience, Cree and Ky were splashing each other in the shallow end of the pool while Sage and Alex watched them as they talked. Cherice was sitting next to me eating and talking about how she thinks she's pregnant. I think so because she's on her fourth plate of food.

"All the symptoms are there and we already know Sage's pull out game is weak." She laughed.

"It must be a brother thing because Alex is the same way." I told her. "I had my tubes tied." I whispered to her and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Really?"

"Right after I had Toots." I nodded my head.

"It's like I wanna have another baby, but we're trying to get started with the boutique and I wonder if I'll be able to do both." She sighs.