Chapter Six

The Walk.

I sit myself up resting on my knees, as Carl acts as if I hurt him. "Well, I'm not that heavy am I?" I joke, Carl's eye widens realizing what he did. "What, no... I... I was shot a few years back, it still hurts when theirs some pressure on it." He said in a cautious tone. I quickly apologize and start laughing. I know I said I wouldn't trust anyone again, but I somehow feel sort of comfortable with him, I felt it since I first ran into him but now that we talked it just felt... Good.

Carl sits up on his elbows, "So, now that we are on a first-name basis and got to know each other a little bit, can you get off me?" I give him a blank look. "I don't know," I check my watch, it's the same one that my mother used to own. She gave me it before she died and I've had it ever since. "Let's see, you sat here for at least... ten to fifteen minutes." Carl sighs hearing my words and lets his arms collapse dropping his head to the ground and closing his eyes.

I climb off the boy and pick up my machete off of his chest. He opens his eyes and sits up. With a confused look, he asks me where I'm going. "I've got my old group after me, they find me or you, they'll probably kill us," I say grabbing my bag and going to stand up. "Wait Lilan, I um... You should come back with me." Carl blurted out as if it was wrong.

"You know nothing about me, and I know nothing about you," I tell him, throwing my bag onto my shoulder. "How about we just meet here at the same time tomorrow."

       Carl looks at me as if he's unhappy about my words. "I don't have any way to tell the time. All I have is my dad's watch and he wouldn't let me take that." He says annoyed. I laugh and turn my bag back towards me opening it.

      I pull out an old worn golden watch. It isn't as golden as it used to be, my mom and dad had matching ones. When she died she had given one to me, now I have both.
     I hand Carl the spare watch and smile. He takes it in his hands and looks at it, then at the one on my wrist. He repeats this another time until he places the watch inside the pocket of his jeans.

     "See you tomorrow..." I say, a short smile appearing on my face. I turn around and walk towards a creek in the middle of a clearing. I turn back to see Carl gone. Is this a good idea? I think to myself. I shut off any negative thoughts once again. This could be good. Or terrible...