Chapter Four

Two years later...

       It was hard for me to get out. I tried, but I couldn't. I did however get used to staying there, so after a few months, I didn't even want to leave. Negan raised me as his own, and I truly loved it. But about a year and a half in. I started paying more attention to things going on around me. Like the women there that Negan had called his wives. They didn't love him. It lead me to believe that maybe my own mom and dad didn't love each other. But after a while, I realized that Negan was a horrible person that I didn't want to consider a father figure anymore. So now, more than two years later I have finally finished my plan to get out of here. Today I will be back by myself. 

     "Aurora, It's time to go." Jenny, a girl only a few years older than me says. Today is my first day going on runs, and my first day ever leaving past those gates, except that one-time Negan had taken me for a walk to 'get fresh air,' it's not so fresh when there are biters all around you the whole time. But at least I got some training in. 

      Negan wasn't coming with us today, I was surprised but it's a good thing considering there wouldn't be someone watching me the whole time. I wasn't sure what I would do once I got away, If, I thought. I push my negative thoughts away and continue packing my things. Once I walk out of my room Jenny is standing with her back against the wall. "Negan asked to speak to you before we left. He's probably in his room." She says. If I'm being honest I don't want to speak to Negan. But knowing that I get to spend 50% of the day with Jenny makes me fine with the idea of it. Jenny is almost twenty so I'm not allowed to speak to her much. I don't talk about it often but I have a slight crush on Jenny, she has long black hair and a chubby round face. She doesn't even seem to mind the fact that we are going through an apocalypse, she is always so happy and carried herself with so much confidence. 

     Jenny gives me a blank face which is my sign to go find Negan. I turn down the hall and walk out the doors that lead me outside. Negan sleeps on the whole other side of the sanctuary so having to go meet with him is quite a struggle.

    Once I get to his room I hear noises that I wish I didn't hear. I knock as loud as I can on the door and wait a few minutes. Once Negan opens his door I see one of his wives in the back. I feel bad for her, I hope that my talking to him will distract him and let her leave after. But I doubt it. "Aurora! I've been waiting for you. Come in dear." Negan laughs obviously drunk, I walk into the room and Negan opens up the chest sitting by the kitchen. It is a box full of weapons, He pulls out a bag that was hanging off the side of the chest.                                                                                                   After, he walks over to the table and dumps the bag out. Once finished organizing them, he looks over at me and smiles. "I want you to have one, it is your first time leaving here and I want you to have a memory of that." 

       I look at the line of weapons on the table. There is a machete, bow, axe, and a tiny bag of throwing knives. Immediately the machete and bow catch my eye, the thing is, I'm not good with a bow. I've tried before but I can never focus properly. I grab the machete, it is easier to use considering what would happen if I only had the bow but there was a biter too close to me. I guess a bow could go through a skull and brain it would however be hard to shoot an arrow with one. But, it is still better to think ahead. I look up and notice Negan smiling at me. He pats me on the back and laughs, "Okay, they're probably waiting for you." 

        -----------

Four hours later.

    Every place we have stopped at I never had my chance to leave. But now is my time. Jenny told me and another man to watch the perimeter. It looks like we're at an old gas station, there were still biters inside so at least we knew no one had been here yet. (Hopefully). 

    The man walks around to the other side of the building while I'm at the front, the windows are covered with newspapers which means that once everyone goes inside they can't see out. I run as fast as I can into the woods and I don't stop. They will find me no matter what. It's best that I keep moving as fast as I can without stopping. Not even to kill a biter. 

    A few minutes later,  I start to hear yelling from behind me. They know. I think to myself. I'm hoping that all the noise they make leads biters toward them so it slows them down.