Chapter One

Present day-

     "I heard there was a place down in New York, maybe we should go. It's not that far from here." I look at my dad as we eat one of the last cans of food we have. He's sick, he won't make it. He wasn't bit or scratched. Just sick, and I don't want to be the person that has to end up finishing the job. "Who knows, maybe we can find a place that can help you on the way there," I say with a smile on my face, trying to cover up how much pain I'm in. My dad glairs up at me, I know he isn't happy. Who would be? It's the end of the fucking world.

      "You're 14 Aura, you have no right to make any of those decisions." My dad sighs. I know he doesn't care what happens anymore. He's giving up, and that's going to get both me and him killed.
     We have made it so far. This whole thing had started when we were in Washington, now, we're halfway across the country. "Just think about it dad. I'm worried for you," I sigh placing my can on the soft green grass and standing up. "We've been out here for years, we haven't seen a single person, at least not anyone who didn't try to kill us or steal from us." I start to walk over to my dad and take the can out of his hand. "We have to ration this, we're too far out into the woods to find much else to eat." Neither of us has hunting experience, and all we have is a gun with no ammo and two knives, there isn't much we can do with that. Since we are so far out we haven't seen any signs or roads in a few days. The last sign we saw said we were entering North Carolina.

"Come on, let's look for a road to follow, maybe we can find out where we are," I tell my dad. I'm not so sure about what to do right now. I start to pack up all of my things while my dad sits there staring at the half-empty can of beans. I hate beans, I much rather eat fish than have those. And I hate fish too... I turn my back to my father so I can try to dig up some dirt to put out the fire. That's when I hear the shuffling coming from behind me. "Dad, sit down. I'll help you up in a minute." But I was too late. I turn around right as the screams leave my dad's mouth. I freeze. I don't know what to do. I feel a slight burning in my eyes that brings me back to my senses. I pull the knife out of my pocket and stab the biter that had been feasting on my dad's neck right in the head. I stand over my dad's bloody body as tears start streaming out of my eyes. I kneel down over my dad, or what used to be. I just look, making sure that once I'm by myself I will remember what he looks like.

I take my knife and hold it above his head. Taking a deep breath in and finally, I kill a human being.