Chapter 11 - Tomorrow

"Y/n?"

"My love, wake up. It's past dinner time."

I groaned. My neck hurt. I scrunched my eyes tight, not wanting to leave my slumber. I heard Papa chuckle, "My, my. You are stubborn, cara mia." I felt a warm peck on my forehead before the warmth beside me left.

     "I'll be in the dining room." I heard him say before hearing his footsteps leave.

I sat up slowly. It seemed I had slept through the day. I stood up from the warmth of the couch and made my way to the dining room.

I could hear them speaking through the closed door. Papa sounded way better then he did many hours ago. I too, felt better. The talking ceased when I opened the door. I felt as if I had intruded on something. "Sorry, should I have knocked?" I asked. Papa stood from his chair, "No, no, cara mia, we just didn't expect you up so soon."

He made his way over to me, "Come, come, sit and have your dinner. We have much to discuss." My food was served and so began the discussion.

"Now y/n, I know you aren't familiar with much about the church, yes?" he asked me. I nodded as I worked on the chicken tortilla soup that was given to me. The ghouls ate their food as well, glancing up at us briefly. "Tomorrow is a special day in the house. Papa Nihil will be visiting." Papa announced. I looked up at him, "Who?"

A few ghouls chuckled, as well as Papa, "Heh, he was Papa before me, well, a few Papas before me." I raised an eyebrow, "Why is he coming?" Papa sighed with annoyance, "To make sure I'm doing my job properly." Mountain put a hand on my thigh, grabbing my attention, "Papa Nihil doesn't consider him a proper Papa, since he's not in the blood line."

I looked back at Papa, who was playing with his food. He seemed stressed. "I'm sure you're doing a fine job, Papa." I reassured. He smiled slightly, "Thank you, tesoro."

We finished our food and went our separate ways. I decided to go back to my room and start a bath for myself. I wanted to make a good impression on this other Papa.

It seemed the ghouls had cleaned the house for me already. The moonlight shined through the tall windows. My footsteps echoed through the halls as I approached my door. I entered and grabbed my nightgown before going across the hall to start my bath.

I stripped my clothes off my body and got in the warm water. The steam rose from the water and into my nose. I washed myself, cleansing the sickness from my body, at least, that's what it felt like. I soaked in the water for a bit before getting out and draining it.

After putting my nightgown on and grabbing my dirty clothes, I scurried out of the bathroom and back to the comfort of my room. My sheets were still messy from when I arose earlier this morning. I got in my bed and proceeded to turn my lamp off.

     As I shut my eyes a knock came at my door. Annoyingly, I turned my lamp on and yanked the door open, "What?" I questioned before seeing who I was facing. Papa looked at me in shock at my tone, "Ah, er- yes, ehm." he cleared his throat. My eyes widened with regret, "Oh, Papa I'm so sorry."

     He looked down shyly, "It's okay, I understand. I wouldn't have come unless it was something important." I leaned on the door frame, "What would that be? Is there something that needs washing?" He chuckled, "No, no, nothing like that, I just, I have something I want to say."

     I looked at him worried. Is he going to fire me? He looked back up at me, his face paint wearing off, "I have grown fond of you, cara mio."  I tilted my head slightly, "Thanks?" He seemed as if he was waiting for some different response. I looked down at the tiled floor, his eye contact growing too much for me to deal with.

     "Y/n, do you understand what I'm saying?" he questioned. I slowly looked back up at him, shaking my head no in response. He sighed, "My tesoro, I like you." My heartbeat grew rapidly. He just told me he likes me? What does that mean? "He likes me?" I said, talking to myself. "Yes, I do." he laughed.

     I put my hand over my mouth. "Take that as you will, I will let you slumber. Goodnight, cara mia." With one last glance back, he walked down the hall and out of sight. I stood in the doorway, baffled. "Why was that so sudden? How long had he felt like that? Is he just saying he likes me as a friend or likes likes me?" I questioned to myself as I closed my door. I sat on my mattress, going through all the questions that were in my mind.

     My heart couldn't catch a break. I couldn't calm down, I felt like I was bouncing off the walls.

     I drank some old water that had been sitting at my bedside since a few nights ago and laid back down. The morning awaited me.