Chapter 1 - Curiosity

"Mom, why can't we celebrate Halloween?" I asked her sheepishly. She turned to me with fear in her eyes, "Y/n, we don't celebrate the devil's holiday." She turned back, continuing to cook our dinner. I squinted my eyes, "But my teacher said it wasn't the devils holiday."

     "We do not celebrate the devil in this household. End of discussion." mother raised her voice. I began to tear up, and quickly ran back to my room. I cried as I tore up my bible. I just wanted to have fun with the other kids.

     "Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen." members of the church said in unison.

     Finally, the Sunday Mass was over. My family stood up from the pews and made their way out of the church. "Y/n, I think you should think about what Father Joseph talked about this evening. It might finally end that sinful curiosity about the devil." Mom said. "Sure mom." I nodded as we walked to our car. As if that would shut down my interest in Satan.

     The drive home was all worshiping songs. I couldn't help but wish I wasn't in this situation. It was hell. After all those years of mom making me go to Catholic school and practically praying I don't end up in hell because of my interest in Satan I'm barely holding on to my individuality.

"How about we stop by a restaurant? I don't really feel like cooking tonight." mom asked dad and me. "Hm, why not." dad shrugged as he drove to his favorite restaurant. It wasn't too far from the church, so it only took a few minutes to get there.

It seemed like the whole town was in the small building. Must be a lot of other's favorite restaurant too. "Welcome, how many will be dining?" the waiter asked my dad. "Just three for tonight." dad replied. "Right this way."

We followed the waiter to a set of booths. As we sat down the waiter gave us our menus. "What can I get you all to drink?"

"We'll have water." my mom answered for us. The waiter nodded, "I'll be back with those in a moment." The sound of the door opening caught my attention. I looked back and saw a group of teenagers with dyed hair and leather jackets enter. My mom scoffed, "Honey, look at those sinners over there. They must be satanists."

"Sure dear." my dad replied blankly. I watched them sit down. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. "Y/n." my mom caught my attention. "Do you want the spaghetti with meatballs or meat sauce?" she asked. "Meat sauce." I replied.

The waiter came back with our drinks, "So, are you ready to order?" he asked. My mom gave him our orders. "Alright, they'll be ready momentarily." The wait wasn't too long thankfully.

When the dishes were served my mom and dad joined hands to pray like usual. My mom and dad held their hands out for me to take, but I decided not to participate. I don't want to do it anymore. My mom looked up at me, "Y/n, why are you not joining hands?"

"I don't want to pray." I stated. My mom laughed, "Are you joking?" I picked up my fork and began to eat. "Y/n, stop." mom raised her voice. If she was going to make a scene, I might as well let her embarrass herself.

"Put the fork down now." she said in a stern voice. I could hear other guests murmuring. "Honey, why don't you calm down." dad began to say, "No, I am not letting my child disrespect our lord by refusing to pray."

A waiter came over, "Ma'am if you keep yelling we will have to escort you out." My mom scoffed, "This is absurd. I won't be escorted out. I'm leaving." Mom yanked my hand and pulled me out of the restaurant. I fought against her grip as she practically dragged me to the car. I saw dad give the waiter some cash before he followed us out. "When we get home you're going straight to your room."

She pushed me into the back seat before slamming the car door. I held in tears as we drove back home. The drive back was silent to say the least, but the energy in the car spoke a thousand words.

When we finally got home I got out of the car immediately and opened the front door with my key. I did as mom told me and went straight up to my room. Everything in there wasn't me. Religious posters, cross jewelry, Jesus on a cross over my window, it was all my mom. I didn't have a choice in it, but I could do the very thing my mom didn't want me to do. I could rebel.

I didn't have a phone, but I know dad has a laptop he never uses in the living room. I periodically watched the digital clock on my night stand until it finally hit 3:00a.m. My parents couldn't be awake now. I snuck out of my room trying my best not to make too much noise. When I got to the living room I searched for the laptop, but it wasn't there. Dad must've put it in his study.

I snuck past my parents room and to the study. I opened the door, it slowly creaked open. I froze, hoping it didn't wake my parents. After a few moments I decided to walk in. The laptop was on the desk. I smiled to myself and sat in the chair. The light from the screen made me squint my eyes. It needed a password. I rolled my eyes. Of course. Did I expect my dad to be an imbecile?

I searched his file cabinets until I stumbled across a notebook with "Passwords" written on the first page. Maybe my dad is a bit of an imbecile. After turning through a few pages, I saw what seemed to be the password. "Laptop Password: 5267208"

I typed it in and it unlocked. I grinned and started to open google. At first I didn't know what to search. Do I search devil worship places? What do they even call it? I searched what satanism was. As my mind gathered the information I finally typed in "Satanist worship places nearby" into the search engine. There were loads of options. One stood out to me in particular, Church of Ghost.

I clicked on their website. "Special Monday ritual. Meet Papa Emeritus IV and the Ghouls." This is it.