Chapter 3

They sat in the car silently, not even the radio is on. Emilyn frequently turns to look at Christopher, his face focus on the road with no emotion displayed on it. "Oh, Emilyn, you did it again," Emilyn says to herself. All the way home and up to their house, no words had been exchanged until now.

"I'm going to shower, then we will talk," he said, walking up the stairs. Emilyn sighs as she walks towards the kitchen, and fills a cup of water. She drinks the whole cup in one shot before heading upstairs. When she walked into their closet, she could still hear the shower running. Emilyn collects her clothes for the night and uses the other room's bathroom.

She sighs when she looks into the mirror, "Why do you have so many problems?" She scolds herself, pointing at the mirror. "Why can't you be normal and not cause other people to worry about you?" Emilyn stares right at her reflection in the mirror. She shakes her head in disappointment, "Maybe I should give Rist some space. Maybe a two-day vacation without me, so he can be stressed free," she tilts her head. "I guess so..." she said. One more stare at the mirror and she strips down to take a shower.

When she finishes her shower, she opens the room door slowly. Peaking her head into the gap of the door first, her eyes found Christopher sitting on the edge of the bed with his head buried into his hand. Emilyn bit her bottom lip and push the door open. Christopher's head lifts up when he heard the hinge of the door creak.

"Hi," Emilyn said and waved, but slowly lowered her hand.

"Come sit," he patted the space next to him on the bed. Emilyn nods and moved a small step at a time to him, Christopher watching every step she takes until she finally reaches close enough to touch her, but he chose not to.

Emilyn gave him a smile and sat down, her legs stretched out but crossed at the end, swinging lightly. "You want to talk to me," she asked, not looking at him.

Christopher sighed, "yes." He started, "Why didn't you tell me that you are going to Ana's?"

"I forgot." She said.

Christopher frowns, "How? Is it that hard to text me or call me?"

"No," she shakes her head. "I was just thinking about something and I got lost in the thought."

"Can you let me in on that thought?" Christopher asked.

She nods, "It was about the ball.  Ana and I went shopping for dresses, we talked about the ball, and I felt overwhelmed when I put on the dress. Then, I lied to Ana and ran away," she peek a little from the side, catching a glance at Christopher. "After, I took a walk and visited grandma Lou. I felt guilty about lying to Ana, so I went over and told her everything," she looks up at Christopher, hoping that he would say something.

He sighs, "At least you told me the truth. But if you really don't want to go to the ball, then I won't force you."

"No, no, no," she shakes her head vigorously. "I want to go, I want to be your plus 1."

"Really?" Christopher raised one of his eyebrows in disbelief. "You," he pointed at her, "you want to go to the ball?" She nods. "Okay, if you want to go, then we shall go." He smiles.

***

"Are you ready?" Christopher turns to look down at Emilyn.

She stares at the front door and sighs, "there's no turning back now, is there?" She looks up at Christopher.

"I'm afraid not," Christopher shakes his head and sighs. "You know how my mum is, she has been planning for this family dinner for a while now."

"Yeah, don't want to let her down." Emilyn forces a smile onto her face, "okay, let's go in." Christopher pulls her to the front door with their hand interlocking, he scans his fingerprint and pushes it open.

They walk to the living room and met with Daxton sitting on the couch watching a show. "Finally, you guys came in. I've been watching you guys from the window, standing in front of the door for ages." Christopher walks towards Daxton and smacks his head with his hand.

"Ouch!" Daxton cries out, "why do you have to hit me on the head!" He glares at Christopher, massaging his head with his hand. "It hurts," he whines.

"Quit being a baby," Christopher rolls his eyes.

"Mum!" Daxton yelled.

"Why are you calling for mum?" Christopher smirks, "she can't safe you," he laughs and shakes his head.

"Rist," Emilyn calls out. "Stop teasing your brother."

"What?" He let out a laugh.

"Stop bullying your brother," Emilyn pulls Christopher away from Daxton.

"I'm just playing with him, that's all," Christopher said.

"You mean causing injuries and making me go dumb. I beg to differ," Daxton scoffed.

"Is just a light slap, that's all. Don't have to be so dramatic," Christopher shakes his head.

"Mum!" Daxton yelled twice loud this time, "Mum!"

"Dax, stop shouting," Christopher covers Daxton's mouth with his hand, "She can't hear you."

 Christopher took his hand from Dax's mouth and turned around, he saw someone standing a few feet away, very angry. "What's with all the shouting?" someone asked.

"Mum, Christopher is abusing me,". Daxton turns his head to the back of the couch. "He hit me on the head," He points to where Christopher has hit him.

"Christopher Evans why would you hit your brother," she glares at him.

"Mum, he is being a creep, watching us from the window," Christopher said.

Their mum-Kelly turns to Daxton, "and why were you watching them from the window?" she asked with one of her eyebrows raised.

"Because they are taking too long, they are just staring at the front door. I'm just watching out for the family," Daxton said.

"Watching more like stalking," Christopher said.

"Hey! Is not called stalking if this is my house. And you guys," he pointed at Christopher, "you guys were standing there at my house front porch, so I did no illegal actions," he stated.

"He is right," Kelly nods her head. "Why we're both of you standing at the front porch and not coming in?" she looks at Christopher and then at Emilyn for an answer.

"I was nervous," Emilyn said. "Christopher was just making sure I was okay," she told Kelly.

Kelly smiles and walks over to her, wrapping her arms around Emilyn's shoulder, and giving it a light squeeze, "you don't have to be nervous, we are going to be a family soon," she said.

"Yeah," Emilyn nods. "But his dad..." she looks up at Christopher.

"Don't worry about my husband, he might be scary on the outside, but he's actually a softie," their mum said. "If he still doesn't accept you, then I'll just make him sleep on the couch until he does," she lightly chuckled. Emilyn smiles. "Now, come on, help me with the food in the kitchen," she pulls Emilyn with her to the kitchen.

***

"So you are going to the charity ball this year?" His dad asks.

"Who are you asking?" Ace, Christopher's older brother asks.

"Christopher," His dad said.

Christopher looks up from his food and answered. "Are you going?"

"Yes, I was invited." His dad answered, then stab a piece of meat. "Are you bringing her?" Christopher drops his utensil and sighs deeply.

"Yes, I am," Christopher said, looking at his dad irritatedly.

"Oh," his dad said, and scoff lightly before putting the piece of meat into his mouth.

"Okay," Christopher stood up, the chair scraping the floor and everyone look up. "What do you want to say dad?" he challenges. "If you want to say something say it now. Say it." Christopher said, his tone of voice becoming louder.

His dad puts down his utensils and said, "fine, I'll say it," he stood up too. "She will be a disgrace if you bring her to the ball," his dad pointed at Emilyn.
Emilyn cowers into her seat, trying to disappear into it.

"No, she won't," Christopher shouted. "That's what you think, is bad for your image. What image?" Christopher laughs and raises one of his eyebrows. "Is it that important to you? Your image? What about my happiness? Have you thought about that?" Christopher breathes deeply.

"Christopher, that's enough," Kelly, his mother said. "Let's talk about this later,"

"I had tolerated your behavior towards Emilyn for an entire year." Christopher ignores his mother and continues, "I've tried everything for you to accept her. What's so bad about her."

"Christopher," his mum calls out sternly. "Enough."

"No, mum is not. I just couldn't understand why," Christopher said. "Just give me one reason, just one good reason. Don't give me she is poor and has no status in the world," he stares at his dad. "Tell me." He shouted. Emilyn tugs on his hand to calm him down. Christopher's dad didn't answer at all. He left the table.

"See what have you done," Kelly shouted, throwing her hands into the air. "I just want a nice dinner as a family and you couldn't just let it go," she scolded.

"Why are you blaming me? Dad was the one who started it." He breathes deeply.

"Didn't I tell you to stand down, we can talk it out later," his mum said. "You scared the kids. I just want one simple dinner that's all as a family. No, you got to make a huge fuss."

"Mum," he said in a disbelieving tone. "He insulted Emilyn, I can't just do nothing."

"I know, his behavior tonight is unacceptable. But you got to learn when to stand down, we can always talk it out later," she said slightly calmer.

"I'm leaving," Christopher announced and pulls Emilyn with him. Emilyn was shocked by the sudden jolt. She gave a small smile to his mum as she passed by her.

They got into the car and Christopher speeds off. The engine rumbles as they drove off. After a 25-minute of silent ride, they finally reach home, but he stops at the front entrance of the apartment.

"Angel," Christopher said.

"Yes?" Emilyn turns to Christopher, she waited for him to say something but he didn't, "Rist?" 

"Emilyn just, please. Please get out of the car," Christopher runs his hand down his face and sighs.

"Rist, what are you doing? Why?" Emilyn is confused.

"Please, just go. I'll be back." He pleads.

"Alright," Emilyn unbuckles her seatbelt, "be careful," she said before opening the car door. He nods, and with one last look, she got out of the car.

Christopher didn't waste a single second after she close the door to speed off.

Emilyn sighed, "where is he going?" She asked, staring into the distance.

A/N: Hey guys, I'm back with another chapter. It seems like Christopher's dad is stirring up some trouble. What is his deal anyways? So let me know what you think of this book so far. See you in the next update. 

7/11/22