Chpt 4: Cake And Strangers

Start from the beginning

After walking through many streets trying to find my own way back to the castle, i decided to walk through an alley. I kept my head down as people stared at me whilst i walked past.

I saw the end of the ally until suddenly someone stood in front of me. "What are you doing back here, Miss?" a man questioned with a small smirk. I tried to walk past him but he was blocking my path.

"I'm just passing" i mumbled. "What have you got there?" he asked. I lifted my head up slowly to see a man in raggedy clothes and three teeth smiling at me.

"I'll ask again... What have you got there?" he said as he tried to grab the crate off of me. "Stop!" i yelled as i tugged it back.

I was about to fight him back until he pulled out a small knife. I gasped as i took a step back. "I told you i wasn't going to ask again" he spat as he walked towards me.

I was about to run as he stormed towards me until i heard a loud voice creep up from behind me. "Hey!" the voice shouted.

We both froze as i looked behind me. A large figure began walking towards us. "What is the meaning of this?" the figure called out. "I don't want any trouble" the man mumbled.

"Then why are you giving this lady trouble?" he questioned. As the figure spoke, the mugger ran quickly away. I took a sigh of relief as he ran out of sight.

"Are you alright, Miss?" the figure asked as he stepped into the light. The man was obviously strong and had curly hair. I paused as he towered over me.

"I'm... Im fine. I... Im trying to find my way back to the castle" i stuttered. "The castle? What are you doing all the way down here if your from the castle? You don't look like a maid" he said.

"It's a long story" i mumbled. The man let out a small laugh. "Let me bring you back then. Do you want me to carry those?" he said as he looked down at the crates.

"That would be helpful... Thank you" i said. He gave me a small reassuring smile as i handed them to him. It annoyed me slightly that he carried them with ease whilst i had to use all my strength to keep them up.

"So are you going to tell me why a maiden like yourself was in an alley on their own?" he questioned. "I was helping one of maids bring food back to the castle and we were separated. I haven't been in Kings Landing long so i have no idea where anything is."

He nodded slowly. "So you decided walking in an alley was the best way to go?" he questioned sarcastically. "I'll admit it wasn't my brightest idea" i said with a small laugh.

"You can say that again" he mumbled. I stopped in my tracks and scoffed. "And what might your name, sir?" i asked in annoyed tone.

"It's Harwin. Harwin Strong, Miss."

"Well Ser Harwin, i'll have you know i understand that i was not thinking straight but i'm not from Kings Landing. I'm from the country. So i don't fully understand what to and not to do yet" i spat.

"And what might your name be?" he asked. "It's Azalea... Azalea Hightower" i said. "Well Miss Azalea Hightower, you should learn what to and not do if you want to survive" he said as he took a step closer to me.

I rolled my eyes as he smirked. We walked the rest of the way in silence as we finally arrived at the castle grounds.

"Thank you for helping me, Ser Harwin" i said as i looked at the ground. It pained me to thank him but my father always says to thank the people who help you. Even if you can not stand them.

"My pleasure, Miss Azalea... I hope to not see you anytime soon" he said as he handed me the crates. "Wow" i mumbled as i rolled my eyes.

"No. I did not mean it like that. I simply mean please stay out of trouble... I do hope to see you again... Just maybe in a safe setting."

A small smile escaped my lips as i nodded. "Goodbye, Ser Harwin" i said. "Until next time, Miss Azalea" he said with a smile.

I crept back through the gates of the castle as i tried not to be seen by anyone. I noticed Ser Harwin keeping his eye on me until i entered the castle.

I sighed with relief as i was safe inside the castle. I walked to the maids quarters and put the crates on the kitchen table. "Azalea! Your alright! Thank god!" Catelyn exclaimed as she embraced me tightly.

She quickly took a step back as she realised how improper it was. "Where were you?! I was looking for you everywhere" she whispered. "I was looking for you to but i am alright" i said.

"Thank goodness for that" she said with a sigh. "I better go back to my father and brother before they worry. But Catelyn, could you please not tell anyone about this? I'm afraid the king would be angry if he knew" i said.

"Of course, Miss. I mean Azalea. I mean-" "Azalea. Just Azalea" i said as i put my hand on her shoulder. She nodded and smiled as she headed back into the kitchen.

I began making my way back to my room so i could freshen up. Today had been a lot more eventful than i expected.

As i was about to head inside, i spotted Rhaenyra standing at the window. With all that had happened i had completely forgotten about the funeral.

"Rhaenyra?" i said quietly as i walked up to her. She turned around swiftly and kept a straight face as she saw me. "Azalea... Hello" she said in a quiet voice.

"How... How are you?" i asked. "I'm fine. Really. I'm just tired" she said. "I'm so sorry about your mother. I've only heard good things about her. She seemed like a lovely woman" i said.

"She was... But she's gone now. Everyone will just have to except that" she said sternly. "I understand that. But-"

"But nothing. I'm fine, Azalea. I'll be fine... I'll see you tomorrow" she said as she walked into my shoulder. I turned and watched her walk away.

I felt bad that i did not know how to help her. In a way i understood her. But in another way, i didn't. Even though i lost my mother too, i never really knew her. So how could i truly mourn her.

That's when it hit me. What i could do to even try and make her day even a small bit brighter. I ran down the stairs and back to the maids quarters.

"Catelyn!" i exclaimed as i saw her. She gave me an annoyed look as all the other maids gave us a condescending look. "What are you doing back here?" she whispered.

"I need your help."

A couple of hours later, i smiled as i looked at what i had made. "Done" i said as Catelyn gave me a grin.

I grabbed what i had made and made my way up to Rhaenyras room. I put it down and left it at her door. I know it would not even come close to making anything better, but i hoped it would give her even the smallest bit of comfort.

Whenever i was down, cake always made me feel better. I knocked at her door and sprinted away as i hid behind the wall. Rhaenyra opened the door and looked down at the cake.

Even though she tried to conceal it, i saw a small smile come over her. She grabbed it and brought it into her room. I smiled to myself as i walked back to my room.

Maybe Kings Landing wasn't as bad as it seemed.