Chpt 1: The Azelas Across Kings Landing

My mother named me Azalea. She insisted on it in fact. She named me this because there were Azalea flowers spread across The Kings Landing where my mother and father met.

My father was apart of the Kings Guard and my mother was a maiden who lived in a small house with her siblings. When they met they married almost instantly.

They then moved out of Kings Landing and my father built our house that we live in now. It's not the biggest but it's home.

We have lived here all our lives. My mother passed away giving birth to me but i don't feel sad about anymore. It was a long time ago and i know she loved me and my brother more than life itself.

Mt father often tells stories about her to keep her memory alive so we don't forget about her. He tells us of her struggles, of her happy memories, of everything.

My father is known as Pegs. He's called this because he lost his foot in war. He now has a peg leg so he finds it difficult to walk.

My father is very caring unlike his brother. He doesn't talk about him much but from what i've heard, he isn't the kindest.

My brother is called Florian. His name doesn't really have a meaning other than flower in a foreign language. I often bully him for this.

Even though he teases me frequently, i do love my brother a lot. It's always just been me and him.

There isn't any civilisation near us so we often made up games to play with each other and the farm animals.

"Will you ever wake up!" Florian exclaimed as he threw a pillow over my head. I jolted out of bed as i groggily stretched. I looked out my window and saw horses running through the field.

I smiled as i walked to the kitchen. I kissed my fathers cheek as i sat down at the breakfast table. "How did you sleep?" my father asked.

"I slept fine. I dreamt about mother last night" i said as i took a bite of my toast. "Well i slept shit" Florian said shoving a fist full of food in his mouth. I rolled my eyes and let out a small laugh.

"I have some news to share with you both" my father said. Florian and i straightened up in our seats to hear what he had to say.

"I have been writing to my brother. He has been telling me everything about Kings Landing. He sends news that the Queen is pregnant with a soon to be heir... Well, they hope it will be a soon to be heir."

"Oh... You've been writing to Otto?" i questioned. "Yes. He said we'd be welcome back any time we like" he mumbled. "Well we don't want to go back. Not after how they treated mother when you both left, right?" Florian questioned.

"I thought it would be good for us to go back. Florian you could train with real guards and Azalea you could mingle with other maidens" he said.

We both stayed quiet as he avoided eye contact with my father. "Oh come on! It will only be for a few days. We need to start thinking of your futures."

"But we're fine here. We have everything we need" i said. "We need to start thinking of what you both will do when i pass. Are you just going to stay here and never socialise with anyone else?" he asked.

"We don't have to think of that now. Your healthy and we're all happy" i said. He sighed. "Fine. I'll just tell him we're busy" he said. I nodded as we continued eating breakfast in silence.

A couple of hours later, i was watching Florian practicing his fighting skills on a scarecrow he had made. He was quite good for never having real training apart from my father.

"Azalea" my dad called out. I walked into his room as he moved a chair and signalled for me to sit next to him. "I will never get used to this peg leg" he said as i chuckled.

"You laugh but i was the best knight in Kings Landing once" he said. "I know father. You've told me many many times."

He gave me a sad smile as my smile faded. "What is it?" i asked. "Nothing... It's nothing" he mumbled. "It's not nothing. What's wrong?"

"It's just... I worry about you two. Both of you cooped up in this small house... And... And i love this place, i love it more than life itself but... But sometimes i can't help but miss home."

I knew my father missed home. He made it obvious when he repeated the same stories of being a warrior every day. But i didn't know he was this upset about it.

"But i thought you hated Otto. You never speak about him. And he treated mother terribly when you married. Why would you want to go back?" i asked.

"Azalea. It doesn't matter what has happened in your past, home will always be home. And you will always yearn to be there."

I sighed. "You really want to return?" i asked. "I do my dear. I have for a while now" he said. I nodded. "Then we should go" i said in an unsure tone.

"Great! It will be nice for you to see Alicent again too. You were both very close when you were young" he said. I gave him a weak smile.

"When shall we go?" i asked. He paused. "I was hoping to be there by tomorrow" he whispered. "Tomorrow?!" i exclaimed as i stood up. He gave me a forced smile.

"Well i have to pack right away then!" i exclaimed again. "Pack for what?" Florian questioned as he leaned again the door. "We're returning to Kings Landing tomorrow" father said.

"What?!" Florian exclaimed. "Go! Get packed now!" i said as i shoved him out of the room. I was about to go pack as well until i heard my dad call my name.

"Azalea" he called out. I turned around swiftly. "Thank you for agreeing to this" he said. "Of course father" i said. I gave him a small smile as i ran to pack.

I began looking through all my dresses and groaned. The last time i saw Alicent was when i was 7 and even then i remember her having the most finest gowns.

And now i'll also be in the presence of a princess. All my dresses were handmade by me and were far from fancy.

"God... This is going to be dreadful."