Chpt 4: Cake And Strangers

"What should we do? What should we do?!" i exclaimed. "Nothing! What do you think we're supposed to do! They just lost their queen and now their having a funeral. It's what happens!" Florian exclaimed back.

I paced up and down the room as my father and brother rolled their eyes. "I feel like we should be doing something for them. Rhaenyra didn't just lose her queen, she lost her mother. The king lost his wife. And we're just sitting here doing nothing!"

"Because we weren't invited to the funeral, Zaels. Just say your condolences the next time you see Rhaenyra and then we'll move on" father said. I scoffed.

"Then we'll move on? Are you serious?!" i questioned. "Yes. I am. Now sit down... Your making me nauseous just looking at you" he said.

I sat down and slumped in my chair. "Maybe we should make them a cake" i said. Florian laughed sarcastically. "Maybe we shouldn't be even more weird than everyone thinks we are" he mumbled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" i asked as i sat up. Florian looked at my father and hung his head. "Nothing. It means nothing" he said.

I sighed as i realised he knew. It made me angry that my father trusted Florian with his secrets more than me. He was one of the most irresponsible people i have met and yet he still trusted him more than me.

"I'm going for a walk" i huffed. "Where?" my father questioned. "I don't know" i said as i slammed the door.

I walked through the castle halls to see nearly no one in sight. Everyone except some guards and maids were at the queens funeral.... And my family.

I realise why we were not welcome but i still felt awful that i could not console Rhaenyra. I made my way out into the gardens and was meeted by the large gates of the castle. I saw maids coming in and out carrying crates of food.

I noticed one of them carrying three heavy crates as she struggled to walk. "Let me help you" i said as i took two off of her. "Thank you miss" she said as i smiled at her.

"What's your name?" i asked as i put the crate down. "It's... Its Catelyn, Miss" she mumbled. "I'm Azelea" i said as i put out my hand.

She hesitated for a moment but then shook my hand. "Do you have to carry this everyday?" i asked. "Yes, Miss"

"On your own?" i questioned. "Yes, Miss" she said. "From where?" i asked. "I have to get more food from the centre of town but it's no bother" she said.

"Let me help you" i said. "It's fine, Miss. I've been doing this for years. I'll be fine" she stuttered. "Nonsense! I have nothing to do and it will be less hassle for you. Please let me help."

She shook her head at first but eventually agreed. As we walked through the busy town, Catelyn told me about her five children and her husband.

I looked around at the gloomy townspeople as they were all working. Once we arrived at the bakery, we grabbed two crates each and began heading back to the castle.

"That's my house there" she said as she pointed at the small house. "It's lovely" i said. "You don't have to lie, Miss" she said. "I'm serious. It's like my cottage back home. And call me Azalea" i said.

"Okay... Azalea" she said as she gave me a small smile. I was about to smile back until a large swarm of people ran through us. I fell back as i dropped the crates of the floor.

I mumbled to myself as i gathered up all of the spilled food. I stood up and looked around for Catelyn but couldn't spot her anywhere.

As the swarm of people moved on as i continued trying to find her. I called out her name but the town was to busy for anyone to hear me. "Shit" i mumbled.