Chapter 6

"Hmm, looks like you're about to wake up," Fukurō stated, lazily swinging her legs back and forth from atop a tree branch.

Ichika stood up, brushing the sticks and dirt that clung to his pants. "How do you know?"

Fukurō shrugged. "I just feel it."

She jumped down from her branch, kicking up a small dust cloud. "You're lucky it was your sister who defeated you. Anybody else and you were probably dead."

Ichika pursed his lips. "I know that fukurō."

"You're not the only one who's upset, you know. I am first and foremost a hunter. To be crushed so easily by the first core's pilot is humiliating," Fukurō sighed with a slight frown. "The first core is powerful, but I am the greatest of mother's creations."

Ichika didn't say anything in response.

"It's alright my pilot. In the end, your wellbeing is what I care most for," Fukurō declared with a sigh. She stood on the tips of her toes as she reached her hand up to Ichika's head, giving it a few pats. Even if it was awkward, Ichika couldn't help but feel heartened by his IS's attempt.

"I'll always be here by your side, Ichika. Your victories are my victories and your losses are my losses. As long as you give yourself to me, I will always devote my entirety to you. We won't be beaten next time Ichika," Fukurō said with a nod.

"We will be the hunters next time."

━━━

Ichika's eyes slowly opened only to hastily shut as he heard the sounds of a door opening. High heels clacked on a hard floor as an unknown person entered the room. From what little he did see, he was in a medical bed, was stripped down to a simple gown, and apparently not restrained. Not waking up in a straight jacket was a good thing he supposed, missing his equipment was another story though.

A full minute of silence ensued as Ichika listened for audible cues that would signal his need to react. Surprisingly, he still felt the familiar feeling of Fukurō on his index finger.

"Eagles that fly," the unknown person began.

Ichika's eyes snapped open in surprise, recognizing the challenge.

"Are the strongest," he replied. The woman standing across from his bed was rather voluptuous with flowing blonde hair framing a face that was currently looking at him with a rather guarded expression. He didn't recognize this woman. Red flags suspiciously arose in his mind.

"Hmph, so you really were awake. You know, this is the last place I'd expect a Hound pilot to show up," the woman grunted.

Ichika's eyes narrowed. "I don't know you, how much do you know?"

"I'm only privy to their existence. Don't really know much else but I have encountered a few of its operators over the years. You all run a tight ship but the IS community is small," the woman stated, inspecting her nails. "The name's Natasha Fairs, U.S representative candidate. Your sister must love you a lot, it was quite hard finding a time when she wasn't literally hovering over you."

Ichika looked around the room suspiciously.

"It's not bugged, I've checked," Natasha remarked. She snorted, Hound pilots were always uncomfortable to deal with. Always so paranoid, not to mention that look they'd give you. It was like they were constantly contemplating whether or not you knew too much. And she thought American special forces was a gated community.

"How long have I been unconscious?" Ichika demanded.

"Two days give or take. But let's talk about the future shall we, Hound pilots simply don't get discovered, much less captured."