53. Swift Moon pt. 6

Start from the beginning

We kept swinging our swords in silence, Jerr flawlessly making figures in the air, and me trying to mirror him. While I altered between looking at Jerr and then looking at my own arms to mimic his motions, he kept his stare steady on me the whole time.

When my hand began straining, Jerr said it was time to resume our way to Hidden Moon, and showed me how to clasp the sword to my own bag, so he wouldn't have two of those dangling around his legs.

It took me only a few steps to realize just how annoying that sword was. "By the Moons," I grumbled, as the large, wooden stick kept hitting my left leg on the side.

"Imagine what a real sword would be like," Jerr laughed. "Or two of those wooden ones."

"Why did you keep them both for so long, then?" I asked him, daringly.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "But it feels good having only one, so you can keep yours."

"How generous of you," I sighed, altering my steps so I walked beside him again. "What if we just put it in our bags?" They'd stick out of the tops, maybe tap our heads every now and then, but I didn't know why we couldn't just carry them around like that.

"No," he dismissed. "You also need to get used to the feeling of a sword on your side. Although, generally, the sheath would be attached to a belt."

"I hope that happens rather soon," I complained. "I can already feel my leg bruise."

"In due time, I'm sure you will."

Jerr and I were munching on one of the roasted rodents we had kept from earlier today, with some berries and nuts we'd gathered along the way

The forest now lay far behind us, leaving us out in open fields. Jerr didn't want to risk making a fire, arguing we were already too visible here as it was.

We'd been looking for another shed, or a hut of any kind for shelter, but had found none. The fields we had been walking in were either bewildered, or used for agricultural purposes, where the farmers didn't see the use of sheds.

We kept away from towns, since Jerr feared the possibility of wolves being present in these little towns. Other than the first town we had spent the night, he didn't know of any town without wolves that we would pass.

As our Moon started her rise, we decided our bodies needed to eat and rest, and we'd have to risk one night out in the open.

Although I knew I had to feel unsafe – other than a small, tingling feeling, I never felt anything but at ease.

Or now, cold.

Our Moon favored us and kept the night dry and cloudless, but the cold nightly wind send shivers down my body every few seconds. I shuddered even more at the thought of what this cold felt like to a human.

"We should've brought furs," Jerr shuddered as another gush of wind passed us.

"Why didn't we?" I asked.