"Wh-whatt? What?", I heard his voice in the dim light. 

"We are under some sort of a security threat", I whispered. 

Someone sneaked open a window, and I heard a voice say, "Why is there a MiG-35 flying next to us?"

"A MiG-35? Like a Russian fighter jet MiG-35?", someone else gasped.

 "Are we being hijacked?", Kamran whispered. 

I had no idea. But an American airline being under a security threat from Russian fighter jets could never end well, could it?

One Day Before the Wedding

Farah

"What are you looking for?", Ameerah asked squinting against the sun. 

"My sunscreen", I replied digging deep into my bag, "I swear it was right here"

"Is this what you're looking for?", she said sheepishly handing me my SPF 50 sunscreen. 

"What?", she shrugged as I frowned at her, "I have to get married someday as well!"

"The color of your skin should not determine your marriageability"

"Says the girl who is slathering herself with sunscreen one day before getting married to a guy who would marry her even if her skin was green and purple in color"

I did have to laugh at that, "I agree, he wouldn't care. The sunscreen is mostly for Ami and the family that is visiting from all four corners of the world"

Ameerah stepped away, but as I stood in the shade of the beach hut's verandah and stared out at the sky blue waters of the Arabian sea, I couldn't help smiling like a little kid who would was about to get the candy she had been longing for. 

Except with the papers I sign tomorrow, I will be getting halal eye candy for a lifetime

Ugh, I immediately groaned, how is Kamran's cheesy humor already rubbing off on me?

"Come on Farah", Ameerah yelled from the oceanside. 

"One minute. I have to check something first", I yelled back. 

Taking out my phone, I first opened my messages app and grinned at the message I had looked at probably a 100 times since yesterday, an each time my skin had tingled at the thoughts of what was to come in less than a day now. 

K: I am coming to make you mine forever

F: InshaAllah ❤

Those were the last two messages between us, just as Kamran's plane had started to taxi. 

But those messages were just a distraction. What I had really intended to do was to look at the online flight tracker and see how far Kamran and his roommate's flight had travelled. 

"That's odd", I said out loud. 

A few hours ago the flight tracker was showing American Air flight 878 over Moscow. And it was still over Moscow. He was scheduled to have landed in Bangkok by now.  

Must be a glitch in the system, I told myself, as I put on my wide brimmed hat and sunglasses for maximum protection from the sun and jogged out to where my classmates were frolicking among the gentle sea waves. Their carefree laughter was infectious enough to make me forget the sadness which came with knowing, that as we went our separate ways, I may never see some of them again. 

Komal

"Chalein Ami, Abu. Jaldi karein", I frantically knocked on my parents' door. (Come on mom and dad, hurry up)