Five

"What do you mean, the trolls?" Sophie managed to ask.
Glimmer shrugged. "The plan was still forming while I was there- I don't know all the details. But the trolls are mad at everyone right now- the Neverseen for exposing them, the council for punishing them, the Black swan for not piecing things together and not doing enough to help-"
"We killed all the beasts!" Sophie butted in.
"Eventually." Glimmer said in reply. "But the trolls think you could have done more- which I guess is the Neverseens plan. They want to blame that night on you guys, and Umber, fuel they're anger at the council, and recruit them."
"That's never going to work." Sophie shook her head.
Glimmers lips twisted into a smile- or Sophie assumed they did. "But you know how convincing the Neverseen can be. Especially when they use Keefe."
"They what?" Sophie exclaimed.
"I didn't know much about Keefe's legacy- but it would help him alter the emotions of all creatures- polyglot is all Gisela told me."
Sophie took several deep breaths to control her rising panic. "So... they want to use Keefe to get the intelligent species on their side?"
"That's what I'm assuming. But I think there's more to the story- there always is."
"There is." Sophie agreed, kicking her shoe. "Is that all you know?"
"Yeah. And you'll talk to the collectible? Have I proven my loyalty?"
She had somewhat- but Sophie had no idea if she was lying or not. It didn't seem like it, though. "I'll see what I can do." Sophie promised, tugging out a few eyelashes.
Glimmer didn't bother saying goodbye as she tossed her cape and stalked back towards the building behind her.
"Did she tell you about Keefe?" Sophie asked Tam, who lingered.
"No." He whispered, the emotion in his voice impossible to identify.
"Is she lying?"
"Why don't you trust Glimmer?"
"Why do you?"
"I lived with her. She had good commitment to the Neverseen- but she was only in Because she wanted to show the world justice. She hated unfairness- liars, people who thought they were everything- so her realizing they didn't keep there word had to be huge. Trust me, she's on our side."
Sophie didn't know how to respond. "I.... Should get back. We need to start doing research."
"Probably right." Tam agreed, turning to follow Glimmer. But he stopped short as she raised her home crystal to the light, turning back and meeting her eyes. "You will keep your promise, right?"
It took Sophie a moment to realize he was taking about Glimmer. "Of course," she told him. "But... I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out. A lot of elves still don't trust her." Her mind went back to Fitz, trying to talk her out of going. She tugged out an eyelash.
"Do your best- that's all Glimmer- all I am expecting."
"I will." Sophie told him, stepping into the beam of light and disappearing.
Mr. Forkle waited for her outside Havenfield. "What did she say?"
"A lot." Sophie rubbed her temples.
"May I check?"
"Mm-hm." Sophie stepped closer, watching as his expression shifted.
"Well. That wasn't what I was expecting." He eventually said.
"What do you think?"
"Think about what?"
"Glimmer joining the Black Swan."
Mr. Forkle but his lip, turning to pace. "I think... it's a lot to consider."
"I don't think she's lying- or that she's still with the Neverseen." Sophie added, taking a step closer.
"Neither do I." Mr. Forkle admitted, shaking his head. "But just because you don't want to be used doesn't mean you can't be."
"What does that mean?"
"Whether international or not, Glimmer still has ties to the Neverseen. I wouldn't put it past them to leave trackers in her clothing- or a listening device. And we can't be sure she knows all of this for sure."
"I guess." Sophie mumbled. "Will you talk to the collective?"
"Give me time to think it over." Mr. Forkle said simply.
"Fine. Did you get anything accomplished while I was gone?" Sophie went for a subject change.
"I asked Tinker to set up security feed across the Forbidden Cities, to see if we catch sight of Mr. Sencen."
Sophie shook her head. "Keefe knows to dodge anything suspicious- that won't be enough."
"Neither Will going to the Fribidden Cities."
"How-"
"I know you well enough to know what you're thinking, Sophie. Keep in mind that someone that has kept themself hidden will not be found unless they want to be. There is no greater mao than the one Mr. Sencen has chosen to hide himself on- only making the chances of finding him slimmer."
"This isn't a game of Hide and Seek! This is life and death! We always live on that line next to impossible- why is this nay different?"
"Beacuse this is far to risky- especially after hearing that meeting. If the Neverseen realize that Mr. Sencen is in the Forbidden Cities, then things will not be good for him. This is better for all of us, Sophie." Mr. Forkle countered.
"He's better protected with us than in a pace he doesn't even know what he's doing in!"
Mr. Forkle blew out a breath. "I know you are eager, Miss. Foster-"
"Oh really? You think I'm eager? Keefe's life is one the line!" Sophie clenched her hands into fists.
"I'm aware. But going to the Forbidden Cities will change none of that."
"But-"
"I'm not having this conversation any longer. My word is final." Mr. Forkle interrupted.
Sophie rubbed the knot of emotion under her ribs. "You can't stop me." She told him.
"I'm trying to get you to see reason. But I must be going." He disappeared before Sophie could scream at him more.
She hated sitting back and waiting for a sign, or someone approval. She was the Moonlark. Not someone's puppet.
She marched up to the leapmaster, and before she could hesitate, she said,
"Shores of Solace." And stepped into the light.

Lemme know what your opinions on Glimmer are! Thx for reading!