09. The Effects

While I was doing homework, my head was throbbing with pain, and then I threw up. I luckily made it to the trash can before it was everywhere.

It was official, I had a fever (or something.) Leo woke up feeling fine and went to school, leaving me home alone for the day. My mom was scheduled to take Quentin to the library after school, Leo was staying late to catch up with schoolwork, and Dad was working late again, so the whole day was to myself. I decided to watch Netflix until my heart desired. Because, hell, I wanted to.

I had vomited about three times, used about six hundred tissues, and took two douses of Advil when Shawn started texting me.

Shawn: WHERE ARE YOU?

Olivia: Sick. I'm at home puking out my intestines.

Shawn: Oh, that sounds like a blast.

Olivia: Funny.

I'm glad it wasn't an awkward conversation because of his breakdown last night. I was scared that he would be nervous to talk to me, but he seemed fine. Right then he did, anyway.

Shawn: At least you're not suffering a boring English lesson.

Olivia: You're texting me in Mrs. Parker's class?

Shawn: Yea, shh!

Olivia: Aren't you gonna get caught?

Shawn: Mrs. Parker doesn't notice anything ever.

Olivia: Oh, well don't get caught!

Shawn: I'll try!

I didn't know how to reply so just left it, but then a couple minutes later he texted me.

Shawn: I have to work on something. I gotta go, I'll ttyl. :)

I laughed aloud to his use of the abbreviation "ttyl" when no one says that anymore and he could of just sent "talk to you later." It was cute though.

I sent him another text saying okay, and then I went back to my Netflixing spree.

The previous night I had fallen asleep at 2 A.M., and I oddly wasn't tired at all for being a sick person who fell asleep so late.

I didn't notice how fast the time flew by when Shawn was calling me at around lunch time.

"Hello, Olivia!" he said through the phone with a cheerful voice.

I paused my show and laid back on the couch."Hey there, Mendes."

"You don't sound too good. How are you?" he commented. I hadn't noticed how nasally and congested I sounded, probably because I hadn't been talking.

"I'm okay, my head hurts." I replied. On the other line was a bunch of talking in the background. "Lunch is lonely without you." he said, and that really enlightened my mood to know that he missed me.

"Oh? Who are you sitting with?" I questioned.

"My friend Ian, Leah and one of Leah's friends, Laur."

"Oh, I don't think I've met Ian or Laur."

"They're cool, I guess, but not as cool as you!" he laughed.

I heard Leah shout, "HEY!" and then some muffling, and Shawn squeaked,"OW!" and I could just imagine her playfully whacking him after his sarcastic comment.

I chuckled, taking a sip of my water, waiting for someone to say something.

Suddenly, Shawn was yelling in the phone. "OH, OLIVIA IN MR. FRYER'S CLASS AND MRS. PARKER'S CLASS WE HAVE HOMEWORK AND I TOLD THEM I WOULD BRING THE HOMEWORK TO YOUR HOUSE AFTER SCHOOL. IS THAT OKAY?"