Chapter 5: Moment of Truth

Începe de la început

"Let's say goodbye to dad, then," I said, which she agreed with. Eevee got along well with my dad as well.

I took my time going downstairs, taking one last look at my house, as I knew I wasn't going to see it for a long time. I was going to miss my small home.

My dad was waiting for me in the living room, smiling. "You all ready?"

I nodded, "I got everything packed."

We looked at each other in silence, before the two us hugged. "I'm going to miss you, dad." I said.

"Me too, son," he agreed, before pulling away and putting one hand on my other shoulder. "I just want you to know that I'm proud of you, my son."

A knot tied in my stomach, but I smiled nonetheless. "Thanks, dad." I looked at my dad's Flygon, who had sad eyes. "And you, Flygon, take care of my dad."

"Fly!" he said affirmatively. I rubbed his head, before looking back at my dad.

He was petting Eevee, "And you, Eevee, take care of Vali, okay? You're the only pokemon he's ever had, so you must be something special."

"Eevee!" she said, probably promising that she would.

The four of us walked outside, where my dad and Flygon were seeing Eevee and I off.

"Take care, Vali and Eevee," my dad said.

"Fly, Flygon," Flygon said.

"We will," I promised.

"Vee." Eevee said, agreeing.

With one last hug, I set off, walking to Professor Oak's lab. He didn't know that Eevee followed me home, so I figured that I should go to his lab and tell him that she's alright. Besides, I wanted to get a pokedex, which is basically a device that allows you to record information about any pokemon you encounter or catch. It reminded me that every trainer was able to carry six pokemon with them, so I was quite aware that I would need to catch more pokemon to assemble a team. That prospect made me slightly wary.

By the way, the reason I didn't ride my bike was because Eevee accidently wrecked it when we were practicing her Mega Tackle. Word of advice: don't underestimate an Eevee, they pack a serous punch, despite them being so small and adorable.

The trek through Route 1 wasn't too bad. Pidgeys and Rattatas occasionally attacked us, but they were no match for the coordination Eevee and I had. It was almost like we were in sync, as if we breathed in unison, our heartbeats becoming one. It was hard to explain, but it was like we understood each other better than we did a couple of days ago.

After a couple hours of training, we finally made it to the familiar place known as Pallet Town. I made it up the hill, before walking to the lab's front door. I knocked and waited for a moment.

Five seconds later, the door opened slightly, and Professor Oak peeked his head out. He seemed confused. "Vali? And... is that Eevee?" he opened the door completely and studied us. "So, Eevee was with you all along?"

I nodded, "Yeah, she followed me." I proceeded to tell him about what happened during school, when the Ursaring attacked me.

"She followed you all the way to Viridian and then saved you from that Ursaring? My, what an interesting story!" Professor Oak chuckled and rubbed Eevee's head.

"Eevee!" she exclaimed, enjoying the rubs. She really liked getting pet.

After he was done, Professor Oak looked at me with a questioning glance. "So, Vali, my boy, does this mean you want to be a pokemon trainer?"

I looked at him with nothing but seriousness, "I do. I really do."

He smiled at that, "Very well. Come inside, there are some things I have to give you."

I followed him inside, this time with excitement.

Professor Oak went to his desk, which had some sort of box on top of it. He opened it, and inside, were strange red rectangular devices with round edges and black stripes that looked like cellphones. He pulled one out and held it up into the air. "Rotom, a trainer needs you."

As he said that, the lights flickered for a second, and something that looked like an arc of electricity shot out of a socket and into the device.

Professor Oak held it out to me, "Here you go, your very own pokedex, the latest model actually. It also serves as a phone, thanks to Rotom."

Ah, so that was it. Rotom is a pokemon that can possess almost any electronic device, like a pokedex.

I took the phone from him, "Thanks." I turned it on, tinkering with it for a bit. There were multiple options, but the one that I cared about the most was the pokedex feature.

"Now, there will be a camera option, make sure to press that and aim it at the pokemon you want to add to the pokedex," Professor Oak explained.

I did what he told me, pressing the camera option in the pokedex app. It looked like some kind of Augmented Reality game. I pointed the camera at Eevee, and then a robotic voice that I figured was Rotom, spoke.

"Eevee, the Evolution Pokemon. Eevee is a unique pokemon that can adapt to its environment by changing its form and abilities when evolving."

The pokedex then proceeded to show me a picture of Eevee, displaying different information on her such as weight, height, typing, and so on. It also showed me potential moves it could learn.

"That's right, Eevee can evolve to eight different pokemon." I remembered. "Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon. All the eeveelutions."

"Correct," Professor Oak said, mildly impressed, "you seem to know a lot of pokemon, just like your father said."

"Well, I don't know that much," I insisted, "I just remember some things from my childhood."

Professor Oak chuckled, "Sure, sure." He looked at Eevee, "What do you think this little fella is going to evolve to?" he asked, sparkles in his eyes. I guess he's a Professor at heart.

"Dunno." I said. "What do you think, Eevee?"

She gave me a skeptical "Eevee..." like she wasn't sure.

"No pressure. Who knows, maybe you won't evolve, that'll be fine, too."

Eevee seemed to consider that.

"Well, whatever you two decide, I'm sure it'll be for the best," Professor Oak said, though he looked a bit disappointed. Didn't blame him.

Something on his desk caught my eye. It looked like another pokedex. I pointed at it. "Who is that for?"

"Oh that? There's another person who wanted to be a trainer. I'm holding that pokedex for them for when they come." He explained.

"So there's going to be a new trainer today? Who is it?"

Normally, when one turns ten, they can go to the Professor of their respective region and get a pokemon from them. So it was no surprise that Professor Oak was already prepared for a new trainer.

Suddenly, a knocking sound came from the door. "Guess that'll answer my question," I murmured.

"Come, let's meet the new trainer, " Professor Oak motioned to follow him to the door.