X. Cold Whispers

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

The Cullen's and their witnesses stood in the empty field awaiting the arrival of the Volturi. The day they were all dreading was finally here.

"If we make it through this, I'll follow you anywhere woman." Garrett whispered.

Kate looked up at him. "Now you tell me."

They stood in absolute silence, dread plastered on their faces. They reassured themselves and their loved ones that everything was going to be just fine. Each coven stood together, strong and determined just as the day they had first arrived. At that exact moment, the dead silence suddenly turned eerie, signaling the presence of something or someone unwelcomed. The Volturi had arrived.

From afar, everyone could see they were clearly outnumbered. The sound of their heavy footsteps crunched against the snow, gradually growing louder and louder as they approached them. The entire guard was there. Edward could feel their intense glares as they stared at him and those standing around.

"The Redcoats are coming. The Redcoats are coming." Garrett anxiously muttered under his breath.

Edward watched Aro's moves. "Aro's looking for Alice." He informed Bella.

The closer the Volturi got, the more hesitant and nervous they all became. From behind the tree line, the wolves emerged and intimidatingly walked towards them. Their movements were fluid and harmonious, almost as if they were all controlled by one mind. Jacob stopped next to Bella and Renesmee.

The Volturi stopped meters away from them. Their reached to remove their hoods. All was sinisterly silent until Carlisle stepped forward.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner." He broke the silence.

"Fair words Carlisle, but a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us." He responded.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken."

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools!" Caius shouted.

Carlisle turned to face everyone, directing his attention towards the witnesses of the Volturi.
"She is not an immortal!" He exclaimed, "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks!"

"Artífice."

Aro raised his hand at Caius, a signal for him to quiet down.
"I will collect every facet of the truth, but from someone more central to the story." He interrupted, "Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I can assume you are involved."