IV. Pluto

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Edward rushed down the stairs and made his way towards the study. Bella followed behind him. Carlisle and Esme hadn't yet left for the airport as they were still in the process of packing.

"Carlisle!" Edward called out to him as he stepped into view.

Carlisle stopped what he was doing and turned around to face him. "What's the matter Edward?"

"Is it Alice? Have she and Jasper returned?" Esme asked.

"No, it's something else."

Carlisle furrowed his eyes in confusion. "What is it?" He asked.

Edward held the frame in his hands, glancing down at it once more before flipping it towards them. As soon as their eyes laid on the portrait, a wave of silence engulfed the room. Esme opened her mouth to say something, but shut it soon after. She had no words. The picture brought back painful memories. Memories they had stored in a box and locked away for eternity. There was an overwhelming feeling in her heart as she reached out for the picture. Esme gave a small smile.

"Alethea." She whispered.

It had been decades since she last held the picture in her hands. The overpowering sensation of guilt soon took over.

"What's the meaning of this, Edward?" Carlisle asked lowly, a solemn look on his face.

"Tell me you your thinking the same thing as me." He answered.

Carlisle walked around to face the large window overlooking the forest. His arms were crossed over his chest and he remained silent for a moment. He knew exactly what Edward meant.

"This is something entirely different, Edward." Carlisle mumbled.

Edward frowned, unsettled with his response. "You and I both know that's not true. Think about it Carlisle. It's the only explanation."

"I'm sorry, but who's Alethea?" Bella interrupted. She was incredibly confused at the whole ordeal.

Carlisle sighed. He hadn't expected today to be the day where he would have to unbury the past.

"Alethea—" He began,"—came to us a long time ago, centuries to be exact. She had been abandoned. When I found her, she was only a baby. Hadn't been alive for more than a few hours. I brought her home with me."

New York, 1753

Carlisle had a relatively easy time finding a job given the shortage of staff at the small hospital. He had only recently moved to the area along with his family. It was something he was used to doing by now given the circumstances of his immortal life.