9 - We are family

Start from the beginning

My fingers brush across my hip as memories of my own past haunt me. The hands that laid on my body, the pain of my muscles clenching and tearing, the tears that left my eyes partnered with the screams of my younger self.

My head drops, resting on hers, as I inhale sharply. The smell of her sweet perfume guiding me away from the painful memories. Thoughts of her filling the void, how beautiful she is as she smiles, the determination on her face as she prepares to dive or skates down the ice. My mind sifts through images of her as I start to fall into a deep sleep also.

Her fragile body resting in my arms, our breathing synchronised, fingers intertwined as I fall into a state of unconscious. My angel keeping me safe from the demons.

Light seeps through my eye lids as they slowly flutter open. My body cold as I lay on the soft cushions surrounding me. This isn't a bed, I've slept on enough sofas to know. I move my arms around remembering the woman who lay in my arms hours prior. I'm alone. My eyes shoot open as I look around in search for her.

My eyes catch sight of a post-it note on the kitchen counter. That wasn't there before. My body moves quickly as I get up, hoping it is a message from Brody regarding her whereabouts.

The paper crinkles between my fingers as I read the message left on it. 'Gone for a run, need to clear my head. Ill be back soon, Brody', I sigh in relief at the knowledge of her whereabouts, shes ok, just needs to clear her head.

I move back towards the sofa, grabbing my phone from between the pillows. I open it up wanting to text Sean and catch up over the events of today. But as I open my phone, floods of text messages come through from the team. I carefully read through the group chat of my close friends on the team.

'Look at the news', 'fucking hell', 'she's strong af', and loads more from all the boys containing the same shocked reactions. What are they on about? What's on the news?

I quickly grab the TV remote and turn on BBC News. Fucking hell. From the ways the boys were talking I was expecting the news to be criticising Brody due to the article. What I saw was the opposite.

The screen was full of live video of Brody running down the streets, a determined look on her face. She wears an oversized Lighting T-shirt and Nike pros. Sweat drips off her body as the camera follows her down the streets.

"If your just joining us now, we are watching live feed of the support of Brody Wills as she runs down the streets of Milton. Crowds of fans and supporters choosing to run with her"

Behind Brody is a large crowd of people; kids, adults, teenagers, all run a few meters behind her, letting her take the lead.

"A crowd member tells us they saw Wills running down the street, a pained look on her face as she went. People recognised her immediately and we all decided to run with her to show our support. She deserved none of the pain of her past and present and we all want her to know we will protect her"

I inhale sharply as I continue to watch, the video changing between Brody, the crowd, interviews with crowd members. People cheer her on from the roadside as she goes past. The support she is receiving from the public stuns me as I sit there mesmerised. She has so much power, so much support.

Yet every person in that crowd is someone unknown to her. She is in pain and she is running from it. My attention turns back to my phone as it vibrates with a new message.

'Get changed into running gear. We will help her through this.' Wallace.

A wave of replies come back all agreeing and getting ready to go. Sean messages telling us he's contacted Dom and Brian too to come as well. She needs all of us. No. We need her, we need to show her we are there for her and will guide her through her pain, as a team.