“Thanks, you really didn’t have to! You could have just sent me the file”

“You told me you prefer studying written stuff rather than on a screen. It’s the least I could do” she smiled. She seemed genuinely happy to see me. But maybe it was just because she was kind with everyone.

“Oh, well, thank you so much, I really appreciate it” I said as I turned the pages of the notes, trying to get an idea of how much stuff I’d missed.

“Don’t worry, you didn’t miss that much, most of the professors are taking it slow with the program, luckily” she said, probably seeing the worried look on my face. “The only one who seems to be in a hurry for some reason is Collins. Half of those are from her class” she added, pointing towards the paper in my hands.

As soon as I heard her name everything in my body seemed to have stopped working, resulting in me basically choking on my own saliva.

“You good?” Mei asked, with a mix of worried and amused look on her face.

“Yeah…yeah I think so” I said through a cough and another. “Told you I still have a tickle in my throat” I luckily had a valid excuse.

“Yeah,I gathered. Was about to ask if you’re coming back to classes tomorrow but I’m not sure you should now” she laughed.

“I’ll wait another few days, I guess”

I really had to decide when to go back, though. I couldn't keep missing stuff because of the dumb reason I wasn't going.

"Oh, also," the short-haired girl added, opening her backpack. "I bought you some ice-cream. Figured out you might appreciate it" she took a small pint of ice cream in her hands.

Ben and Jerry's almond milk cookie dough was literally my favourite ice cream flavour ever and I was sure I'd never even told her.

"How did you know I love this flavour?" I laughed.

"Don't know. Had a feeling, I guess" she playfully winked.

We proceeded to talk about college and random stuff while eating ice cream for the next two hours without realizing so much time had passed. And by talk I meant she talked and I sometimes intervened with short phrases.

I didn’t mind at all, though. I enjoyed listening to stories about her friends, people I don’t even know, and her childhood.

About her almost getting arrested because of stealing some candy, about her getting stuck on a tree when she was five years old, about her numerous ways to cheat on tests she used during high-school tests.

She’d probably told them many other times but she seemed truly excited to repeat them.

Some kind of glow lit up in her dark eyes when she could talk to someone who listened to her and that made me so happy for her that I honestly never wanted her to stop.

“I’d ask if you wanna stay for dinner but I’m really running short on food up here. I need to go shopping as soon as I can now that I’m feeling better. The ice cream really was a life saver” I laughed.

“It’s okay, I gotta go anyway, the Subway that gets to my flat from here runs until like 8pm. Have no idea on why” she scoffed as she gathered her stuff.

“That’s kind of dumb”

“I know right?”

“Thank you for the visit, though. I really appreciated it” I couldn’t help but say as Mei got up and headed towards the door.

“Yeah, no problem, really. I’m glad I came” she smiled. “Let me know if you need anything. Like, even if it’s just talking to someone. I’ll be glad to listen and help if I can in some way”.