"Thanks for nothing, Lailah" , I spat at her, feigning a strength I never had. "Your kingdom is all nice and cozy, but I'm leaving. I still don't trust you, nor do I want any help from you, of all people."

I need to run. Now.

Lailah didn't seem the least surprised by my harsh words. She was at fault, and she knew it. From her current appearance, I could guess one thing: Noah's disappearance was taking a huge toll on her.

I knew I couldn't blame her, but I did. She only helped us when she was ordered to, by the so-called Oracles, useless creatures that only watched as our world went down to ashes, as the immortal creatures of the two remaining worlds fought to death.

Claiming it was fate and they had nothing to do with it was like abandoning your own child in a crowd hoping that he will be found by divine creatures and raised well, rather than taken by serial killers or pedophiles.

"Sadly, you won't be able to leave us. Even if we let you. Noah's fate lies in your hands now." , she replied, not a hint of hesitation in her voice. She crossed her arms and sat on the bed, a dead look on her face.

"Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?" , I shouted. "You disappeared when it most mattered, you let us suffer inside a demon realm in the shape of a smartphone, you only came when Noah was on the verge of Death in the Orphanage, you even sent your so-called boyfriend to protect me, but I ended up needing someone else to protect myself from him. If it wasn't for obaa-chan, I wouldn't be here right now, talking to you! He dared to raise his sword on my throat, I was so scared, I thought---"

"What did you just say?" , She interrupted. She stood up and walked towards me, putting both hands on my shoulders, glaring at me with eyes full of panic.

All the courage left me the moment I lost myself in the darkness of her eyes.

"I--I said--"

I took a step back, unable to say one more word.

"It's true" , Cassiel joined the conversation. "Michael tried to kill her"

Lailah turned to my guardian angel, eyes wide, mouth hung open.

"Aren't you going to look for him?" , Cassiel asked, her gaze holding the Queen's in a seemingly endless fight of stares. I wondered about the relationship between the both of them. Was Lailah obeying Cassiel's absolute orders, since she was one of the Oracles? Did Lailah even know about the true identity of Obaa-chan?

"M-Michael? Are you sure?" , the queen stuttered.

The angel nodded very slowly, as if to let the information sink in. Lailah finally let go of me. She dragged her feet back to her bed, her gaze fixing the floor but looking elsewhere, far inside her own thoughts.

She threw herself on the bed, and as she faced the ceiling, she took out something from her pocket.

A phone?

She dialed a number. Held the phone against her left ear using her right hand. A weird habit.

"Hello? Hey Isreal, can you do me a favor?--- No, she's here---Yes, right now, there's no time to waste---I know, it was a foolish thing to do, but I had no choice! I had to find out where he was---I was actually calling for that purpose---What did you just say?"

The answer never came, for the queen hung up, then threw the phone on the floor with all her strength. Only silence followed. No loud crash, no breaking devices.

"Stupid floor" , she muttered. Her voice broke towards the end as she covered her face in her hands. Choked sobs followed, the very first signs of weakness I ever witnessed, and before I even had the time to say something, before the urge of consoling her could find its way to my heart, she spoke again, her voice colder than snow, reminding me of someone very dear to me. A boy who acted as a killing doll. A boy who had no heart, then made one for himself.

The words she said had no impact on me but to remind me of the longing that ate at my insides. The longing for the boy who saved my life but couldn't save his.

I knew, at that moment, that she truly was Noah's biological mother.

"Israel found no trace of Michael's essence anywhere. After trying to kill you and failing, he disappeared"

"You know what to do, Lailah" , Cassiel urged, as if this news was familiar to her, as if she already expected something like this to happen.

"Go ahead,it is right there" , She pointed behind her to the blood-stained handle of the hidden door.

"Come, Hitori" , Cassiel said to me. She gripped my left wrist a little too hard, guiding me to the door. I took a step back, panic seizing me, paralyzing my limbs, freezing my brain. I resisted, walking backwards in a vain attempt to escape.

I knew it was too late. I knew I was only a weak human in an angel realm. They could kill me right now if they wanted to, and no one would bat an eye.

"No, where are you taking me? I said I'm leaving!" , I screamed.

Cassiel was stronger.

She pulled me hard, making me stumble and fall on my knees.

"Stop it! Are you really Cassiel-obaa-chan?" I sobbed.

"I'm doing this for Noah and for the future of our worlds" , she said, avoiding my pleading gaze.

"At least tell me what that door is for!" , I begged. I shifted my wrist inside her palm, trying to break free of her hold, but she was as solid as a wall.

As Lailah sobbed inside her pillow, as my screams echoed to the depths of Earth, my sobs tearing away my throat, my tears falling helplessly on my cheeks, I got dragged like a wounded animal to the world behind that door.

Once I saw what was beyond it, the light blinded me so much I drifted away to darkness.

And I was no more. 

The Voodoo Dollजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें