It wasn't everyday your mother-in-law stepped in for your late mother to help you dress for your wedding.

"Good morning, Mrs. Lee."

"Good morning, Your Highness, or should I say, dear daughter?"

Alori allowed herself to be pulled into the petite woman's embrace. Taelan's mother was small and slender like her son, with the same dark hair and expressive gray eyes. She wore an elegant wrap-style dress with large red flowers embroidered on a cream base. Her silky hair was twisted into an elaborate bun and secured in place with decorative pins that came dangerously close to taking out Alori's eye.

Alori stepped back, ushering Mrs. Lee into her apartments with a question.

"Have you seen Taelan yet this morning? I meant to remind him not to go walking in his new boots. Yesterday he was halfway out the door before I noticed."

"I believe half the staff has reminded him." Mrs. Lee's pretty smile accentuated the few fine lines around her eyes. She must have been nearing forty, but it was difficult to tell. Age had been kind to her.

"I hate to be a mother hen," Alori huffed teasingly, "but those boots are white! Who goes out in dark trousers and white boots?"

Truth be told, she found her fiancé's recent foibles sweet.

Mrs. Lee chuckled. "It's nerves. Tae always was a bit shy, not big on attention."

Should she have known he was anxious? Taelan hadn't said word one to indicate he was uncomfortable with their impending nuptials. Not that it was particularly surprising, but she'd assumed he'd have told her if he was overwhelmed.

"There will be hundreds of people in attendance today. Do you think it's too much?"

"No, kit, don't you worry over it."

The first time Mrs. Lee had called Taelan kit, Alori assumed it was a pet name reserved for her only son, but it turned out Taelan's mother used the diminutive on anyone under a certain age. Kit was a term of endearment in Ville-You, an homage to the realm's cultural affinity for foxes.

"My boy made his choice to pursue you many years ago. He knows what he's getting himself into and will face it head on, because he loves you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Lee. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help today."

The pins and needles sensation creeping down Alori's spine was replaced by a wave of unexpected emotion. But if Taelan could face a massive crowd for her sake, she could endure a few minutes of rare motherly comfort without crying. 

Mrs. Lee smiled knowingly. "It's the least I can do. You saved my son's life once, and mine. I can never thank you enough." Her soft voice caught in her throat, her dark gray eyes shining in the bright morning light. "Tae has always been gifted, but it still feels like a dream that my boy is marrying the angel who rescued us on that horrific night so many years ago. I don't know how he managed to pull it off."

"Well, he was dedicated." Which was an understatement, if Alori had ever heard one. "That, and he was raised well."

"Thank you. It isn't easy to raise a boy without his father, but I tried my best." Mrs. Lee blushed, fussing with the dark red ribbon tied around her waist. "Now, let's see this lavender gown I've heard so much about from your sister." She clapped her hands to lighten the mood, breezing across the room to stand in front of the wardrobe.

Alori watched with detached fascination and a dull pang of sadness as Mrs. Lee peeled over the craftsmanship of Liahfey's couture design, studying the simple yet effective boning in the bodice, which had been added as a replacement for a more traditional corset.