Chapter Eleven: An Unfortunate Encounter

Alori woke up early the next day, with a feeling like sunshine running through her veins, warm and energizing. She hopped out of bed and flung open the double doors of the armoire, intending her wardrobe selection to be a simple task, but the decision was harder than she'd expected. Neither of her traveling gowns would be appropriate prior to announcing her engagement. Wearing them would be putting the cart before the stag, so to speak.

There was the blue gown she'd worn last night, but she pushed it aside. Not only was it better suited for the evening, but Thelix's compliments on the color left a sour taste in her mouth. She might never wear it again. That left two choices, a green and gold striped walking dress, and a satin day gown the color of dusty pink roses.

It was unusual for Alori to fuss over her appearance. Liahfey was the fashionable one in the family; the second princess' gowns often left the court tittering for weeks. Alori tended to stick to classic silhouettes and seasonally appropriate color palettes, but today was special. Today she would be affianced. She needed to look her best. Analyzing her reflection in the full-length mirror on the wardrobe door, she considered which gown was better suited for the occasion. Green and gold would have been lovely in summertime, when her skin was sun-kissed and her hair a full shade brighter. But now? She frowned. Dusty rose complimented her complexion year-round and was the more romantic color. The pink dress also had a lower neckline than the other gowns she'd brought on the trip, and she was curious what Taelan would think of it.

With a touch of magic she donned her corset, petticoat, and the rose gown in quick succession. The lacy décolletage was revealing, particularly for January, exposing the tops of her shoulders and collarbone. Although it pleased her to imagine Taelan's face when he saw what she was wearing, she found herself reaching for a shawl when her thoughts ran to certain other individuals' reactions.

As she did so, heavy footsteps stopped just outside her door.

Alori turned toward the antechamber, expecting Hamoni to come breezing in with her cane, but it was still early and the footsteps continued down the hall a moment later.

Stretching the lightweight shawl over her shoulders, Alori went to the door and turned the bolt. The hallway was empty. The only sign of life was a servant making his way down the back stairs. A hint of smoke tinged the air, like someone's fire had recently been tended.

Nothing was amiss, so why were the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end?

Alori shook her head, pressing the door closed. There was no need to worry, she was just letting her nerves get the better of her again. The most logical explanation was usually the correct one. The servant had probably finished cleaning someone's fireplace, and what she smelled was the bucket of ashes they had carried downstairs for disposal.

After a few mindful deep breaths that slowed her racing heart, the peculiar feeling faded. Alori slipped off the shawl and started working on her hair, tying it up into a loose crown of woven braids. The repetitive motion of twisting the straight locks into long plaits was relaxing, and she soon forgot why she'd thought anything might be wrong. Pleased with her reflection in the mirror, she wrapped the shawl around her shoulders again, then headed back out into the hall. She vacillated over whether to knock on Taelan's door, but a familiar face ducked out from one of the rooms at the same time as she did, making her decision for her.

Reeve didn't notice her at first. His curly brown head was dipped toward a booklet held open between his hands, a pair of spectacles perched on his nose.

Alori waited until he was close to clear her throat.

He looked up from lines of sheet music and smiled. "Princess Alori, good morning. How are you today?"