Chapter 1

The warning bells of the Kingdom of Vernum echoed throughout the night Merlin smelled smoke and as he ran to the balcony seeing an army his uncle's army to be specific.

Merlin ran bursting into the throne room where he saw his father discussing something that Merlin couldn't understand father we are under attack. The smoke outside was beginning to burn my eyes as where the tears My father bent down to my height grabbing my shoulders before tilting my chin up so I was looking into his eyes.

Merlin my son you are the soul heir to my throne. No!!! Father let me fight you know I can Merlin said as Balinor pulled his son into a tight hug Merlin couldn't bring himself to say he couldn't breathe tears streamed down his cheeks. I...I...I can't leave you ...I...I just can't. I know you can't Merlin and I don't want you to but I need you to get your mother and sister out of here king Balinor said.

Merlin closed his eyes and breathed in deeply before releasing it shakily promise me you'll make it  out of here alive and back to us Merlin said his voice quivering slightly Balinor looked into his son's tear filled blue eyes before pulling him into another hug before he whispered I promise you Merlin.

Now go King Balinor said as he released his son from the tight hug. You better come back and with that said Merlin disappeared into the night hearing the clash of metal on metal as the battle continued his Mother and sister following him.

Merlin woke in a cold sweat screaming as Gwaine wrapped him in his arms as the memory of that day still haunted him.