Chapter Nine

NOT EDITED BTW

-----

People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soulmate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they'll tear down your walls. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah, too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. There purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego, show your obstacles, and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate, and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master.

Even though I debated whether or not love was an actual thing, I did believe in a soul mate. Giving someone a piece of your soul is better than giving them a piece of your heart. Because souls are eternal.

Right now I was seated in a cold seat in English Literature, with Reece placed beside me. His minty scent was surprisingly very comforting while we all debated over the whole concept behind a soul mate, and falling in love.

By all, I mean Reece, and Lily while the other forty-eight of us watched silently making quiet side comments to one another.

Apparently Mr. Patterson thought this exercise would be a great opportunity to help construct some thoughts, and knowledge for our essay that I have yet to start.

It's extremely hard to write a paper about a topic that I had zero experience in.

I needed more inspiration.

"A soulmate is the one person whose love is powerful enough to motivate you to meet your soul, to do the emotional work of self-discovery, of awakening." Lillian spilled chewing on the lid of her pen.

Reece, and her have gone back, and forth for about thirty minutes. But I can't complain, this was much better than writing notes all day.

"There is no such thing as a soulmate...and who would want there to be? I don't want half of a shared soul. I want my own damn soul." Reece's jaw tightened.

He was dressed in a purple button down, with a pair of nice fitting khakis. His presence made my knees weak. Thank god, I'm seated otherwise I would've collapsed onto the floor.

This is something that always tends to happen every time I'm around Reece.

Mr. Patterson continued to sit in silence, and observe this debate as he scribbled some notes down every once in awhile.

"You know Reece, I hope you fall in love." Lily said. "Because, love is all about guts. If you have it, you fight with the world. If you don't, you fight with yourself."

Either Lily knows her research, or Lily was in love.

I could tell by the way her eyes were glowing, and the tint of red in her checks that indeed she was in love.

Remind me to ask her about it later.

Reece rolled his eyes. "In my book, love is overrated."

"Really? In my book I gave it eleven stars out of ten. But stars are like political votes. Who's really counting?." Lily shrugged.

Oh yeah, she was definitely in love.

I wonder who the lucky fella is.

"This is exactly why I'm not gonna do this stupid paper." Reece yelled. "It's overrated, and a total waste of time. Whether love, and sharing your soul with someone is real, I won't be that naive to fall for life's stupid heartbreaking traps again."