{Fourteen}

Red Lights // Stray Kidz

Jackson

Stepping into my apartment, the place I've lived for a few years now, is not what I expected. I've been gone for almost two months. I left not knowing what I'd find in Fallbrook Hills but ended up finding everything. I'm coming back to what used to be my sanctuary.

Now that I'm here I realize what an exaggeration that was. This place is a crash pad. Four walls where I could stash my stuff and lay my head. Yeah, my roommates are cool, three guys I get along with well. But nothing compares to the matchbox I call home now. There's no heart in this apartment. My heart didn't really start beating until I left this place and found Holly again.

And I can't wait to get back to her.

"Jackson, thought we'd have to send out a search party for you. What's it been, four, five weeks?" Craig saunters into the living room with a towel wrapped around his waist. He must have just gotten home from the gym. He's a total rat, spending more time working out than pretty much anything else. But he refuses to shower there. Something about jock itch and athletes foot running rampant.

I huff a laugh and drop my bag by the front door. "Something closer to eight, but who's counting. I'm still good for the rent my man."

"Never thought you weren't. Brian moves in next weekend, hope that's okay?" He asks with raised brow. "You plan on staying a while or is this a pit stop?"

"Just grabbing my things so the new guy can make himself at home." I was willing to pay more per month in order to get a single room. It's the smallest one out of the three-bedroom place, but I don't have to bunk with Craig or Tim. They never mentally moved out of their college frat house and I'm not interested in that life.

Craig nods while heading to the kitchen, not bothering to dress anytime soon.

"I'll just be here long enough to clean out my drawers and closet."

"You're staying with your dad, right?"

I swallow hard before responding. "Nah, his place is too small. I found a micro one bedroom over a garage. It works."

I gave the guys bare minimum information about my life before I took off for two reasons. I was still trying to figure out what kind of shit storm I was walking into and I really didn't have the patience for their bro-advice. These guys are great, but they are textbook meatheads. Nothing they said would be much help.

But the bigger issue at the time was my mom. I wasn't saying a damn word to her about my intentions, but I wouldn't put it past her to try interrogating my roommates. She's ruthless when she wants something. These guys don't know how to deal with someone like her. Craig came from money, even though he's practically slumming it in this apartment post college. His parents didn't exactly cut him off, but they aren't paying for him to live the luxurious life anymore. Tim and Dan lived in the suburbs their entire lives. Neither of them know what trailer park living does to a guy. And I'm sure none of them have had interactions with someone as manipulative as my mom. She'd talk a bear out of his coat just for the hell of it.

I never saw my mom as a con artist growing up, but once I hit high school, I started to read between the lines of all her 'advice'. None of which was beneficial to me in the end. She always reaped the rewards of whatever crap she had me pull. Case in point, I lost touch with my dad while her bank account sat nice and fat.

"It's cool you're connecting with him." Craig says after chugging a glass of water. "Although my dad's in my face more than I care to admit, so make sure you establish some boundaries." Craig wags a finger at me. Sage advice.