Unlike the previous Aunty who had brought a rishta for her son and sat on this very sofa, Sadaf Aunty's reply made Nano smile instantly.

"Apa, khayaal kya hona hai. Mein tou hamesha se itni impressed houn iss bachi se. Doctor ban na aur phir practice karna koi asaan kaam nahi hota. Leikin aap fikr na karein. Farah ko humari poori support hai. Waisay bhi, hamare liye Farah aur Komal mein koi faraq nahi hai"

(Sister, what could I think. I have always been very impressed by this child. Becoming a doctor and then practicing is not easy. But don't worry. Farah has our full support. Besides, for us there is no difference between Farah and Komal)

By now Ami had laid out chai, samosas, chicken patties, a cake and some cookies on the dining table. She called everyone else to the dining room but to me she turned and said something that had been programmed in her since we were kids.

"Farah go wash your hands properly with soap and water before eating"

Oh for God's sake Ami...I am not a child

Ordinarily, I didn't care but I was a grown woman. Almost a doctor at that too. And being told by your mother in front of everyone to wash your hands properly was embarrassing. Besides, I had washed my hands just before leaving work and had not touched anything unclean on my way here.

I was inwardly making a mental note to chide my mom when we were alone when I heard Komal say, "Marium Aunty, Kamran and I should probably wash our hands too. We uh...touched a stray cat outside"

"Yes, yes of course beta. Farah please show them the guest bathroom"

Kamran looked confused at first but then started following his sister and I walked out after them both. Away from the rest of our family, Komal giggled and pinched her brother's cheek.

"You two are so damn cute"

Kamran groaned and swatted her hand away, "Komal, stop it"

"You can't make me", she laughed, "Besides you should be thanking me bro. Otherwise, you'd still be sitting in there with the oldies eyeing each other"

Something dawned on me then, "There was no stray cat, was there?"

"There are always stray cats in Pakistan", she grinned when we reached the guest bedroom.

"I need to use the bathroom. Stay here you two", she told us and disappeared into the ensuite, leaving us standing inches away from each other.

Suddenly, the walls of that room seemed so much closer and the air thicker. His musk smell overpowered my senses, as did his mere presence in that room. Alone with me.

The silence between us spoke volumes. Neither of us had had time to process what was happening. We had gone from thinking the other wasn't interested, to this moment where we stood transfixed in front of each other. Searching for the perfect words to pick up where we had last left off, the day we stood in front of the historic inn nestled in the mountains and said goodbye.

His gaze never left me, but his lips turned up into a slight smile.

"We have got to get your Nano some hearing aids"

"Yes, we do", I agreed wholeheartedly.

More silence followed, broken by his nervous voice, "So, h-how are you doing?"

"I am ok, just tired. I haven't slept in 24 hours", I hoped that explanation would let him look past my frazzled state.

"You look tired"

I sighed, that is not want you want to hear from the best-looking guy you know, and who you may also be in love with.

"I know. I am sorry, I should have at least changed or something. I look like such a mess in front of everyone"