who knows, he can get along with the rats as well.

"i should write to jiminie. he must be worried after seeing me last time" taehyung talked to himself, cleaning off the dust on the table before sitting down to write a short letter about how he was doing to his childhood best friend.

park jimin, just another orphan like him who was his roommate back in time.

one of the reasons he decided to not end his life was because of jimin. he was like his therapist, conversing with jimin seemed to always clear his head from negative thoughts. it hurts as well to be departed from the male he has known forever.

jimin has gone back to busan when he found out he has grandparents who are willing to take him in. he's now handling their business and taehyung can't be more than happy to see his best friend finally doing well in his life.

after finishing writing the letter he looked out of the small window, realizing the sun was setting down. being late out here wouldn't be safe for even a man so taehyung hurried out of the building to post the letter in the postbox. by the time he was returning after doing some groceries on his way, the night sky had already made its presence.

looking up at the starry sky taehyung parted his lips and let out some air, seeing it turn into a fog and dissolve in the cold air.

his nose and lips turned rosy pink and skin pale as he snuggled the lower part of his face under the warm scarf he wore around his neck. shoving his free hand inside his coat pocket he hurried back home.

the old building was only two-storied. taehyung lived on the second floor, room 202. there were two flats on each floor making four rooms in total. the brown haired lad hadn't gotten a chance to greet his neighbour who lived right beside him and he didn't have any intention to do it anyway because the landlord himself looked super rude, handing him the key with a frown on his face as if he was some sort of germ. socializing isn't one of his best skills either so the male decided to rather not.

rushing upstairs to warm up his cold body taehyung eventually slowed down in front of his door. rummaging through his coat's pocket to take out the key while he tapped his foot against the floor.

and at that very moment,

he heard a scream. a muffled scream.

taehyung froze.

"what was that?" he asked himself, almost whispering.

he was sure he heard the scream coming inside from room 201, the room beside his.

taehyung couldn't bring himself to put the key through the keyhole or tap his foot against the wooden floor again. he just stood silent there for a while to see if someone was really screaming or not.

however, nothing was heard after that.

it was drop dead silence.

taehyung felt uneasy. the small bulb above his head flickered as it does in horror movies but taehyung wasn't scared of ghosts or any of the myths that are popular around the world.

taehyung is scared of humans. what can be scarier than a human who can harm another human? being a journalist who practically has to keep updated with the criminal world every day knows this much. that nothing is scarier than humans.

or he thought so.

not hearing anything afterwards taehyung slowly unlocked his door and went inside, convincing himself that he was just hearing things. it was for the better. living in a not-so-populated area he shouldn't risk being out in the dark. thieves, robbers, murderers— any sort of criminal can be around him but taehyung has to ignore them. for his own sake.