The Books of the Dead

Tallis pulled down on a leather strap, cinching the harness tight around the belly of the thick-limbed lizard that would carry them into the dead lands. He took a step back and stuffed his hands into his pockets, shivering in the icy gale that assaulted the forest.

"I don't suppose there's any chance of waiting for the weather to clear, is there?" he asked.

Callan stepped around the side of the wagon hitched to the lizard. He was bare chested and completely unfazed by the temperature. "This could be the best weather we have for months. We'll be passing through the heart of the winter court to reach the deadlands and things won't be getting any warmer there any time soon. If we wait, we might as well wait until spring and I don't think we have that much time." He reached into the back of the wagon and took out a breastplate that looked like it was made from woven porcupine quills. He pointed into the back of the wagon. “There’s a little something for you in here too.”

Curious, Tallis stepped to the back of the wagon and found a package wrapped in brown paper with his name written on it. He tore open the wrapping and found a long, black coat and a faemetal breastplate.

“That should go a long way towards keeping you safe.” Callan slipped his own armour on and gave Tallis a gentle shove. “I know you aren’t much of a fighter, so you’ll need it.”

A second wagon trundled up the road behind them. “He’s getting a lot better,” Setia called out from the passenger’s seat. “He’s been practicing with me.”

“That’s right,” said Tallis. “I’m a regular quickdraw now.”

“Bull. Shit,” she said.

He reached for his pistol. She ripped hers from its holster ages before he could bring his bear.

She grinned. “At least you didn’t drop the gun this time.”

He slipped the pistol back into its holster with a laugh and looked back to Callan. “See, I’m getting a lot better.”

The second wagon slowed to a stop and Valerie hopped off the back with a huff. She glared up at Setia. “Would you put that thing away before you get someone killed.”

Setia twirled the gun on her finger and slipped it into the holster at her hip. “If I wanted someone killed, they’d be dead already.”

“Accidents can still happen.”
“Sure,” said Setia with a shrug. “I suppose they can.” She hopped down off the wagon.

Aragam slid down from the driver’s seat and double checked their reptile’s harness.

Tallis gave him a nod. “You guys get all the shopping done?”

Aragam stood and patted the beast’s rump. “We’ve got all the essentials: beans, bacon, whiskey, and lard.”

“Good,” said Callan. “We’re riding with some extra rifles, swords, axes, and a case of dynamite. I think we’re ready.”

“Right,” said Valerie, swinging up into the driver’s seat of the food wagon. “Let’s get moving then.”

Callan spared her a concerned glance. “Everything okay, Boss?”

She let out a heavy sigh and leaned forward in the seat, resting her elbows on her knees. “Just nervous. I don’t much fancy the idea of riding right into a demon’s nest. You go ahead, I think I just want some time alone for a while. Collect my thoughts.”

Callan fetched a long, side by side shotgun from the weapons cart and scampered up into the passenger’s seat next to Valerie. “You need someone to ride shotgun with you.”

“I’m fine,” she said. “Don’t need anyone here with me.”

“It wasn’t a question,” said Callan and the tone of his voice made it clear that he wasn’t going to take any arguments. “If you need some quiet time then I won’t say a word, promise. You won’t know I’m here, but I’m not going to let you ride alone. We don’t need you getting picked off or snatched up when we aren’t looking.”