The Battle of San Tempes

Another explosion rocked the city, shaking the walls and rattling the few dishes in the cupboard.

Tallis walked to the hidden cupboard and slapped it open. The panel fell down with a creek and he pocketed as many stones as he could, focusing on the dangerous stuff. He turned to his father and held out his hand. “Dad, I’m going to need my gun.”

“Not going to happen.”

He knocked at the wall on the other side of the hidden panel. It sounded thin and felt flimsy. He held a redstone up to the surface. “If you won’t let me through I’ll have to make my own door. I’m helping the people here. And you can’t stop me.”

A moment of grim silence hung in the room, thick enough to walk across. A keening wail cut the air.

The devil had come to call.

“Gun,” he said, holding out his hand again. “I’m going to need it.”

Norman shook his head.

A distant scream rolled in the distance.

“If that’s the way it’s going to be,” said Tallis. “Then I’m sorry about your wall. When this is over I’m sure I can figure out how to use the greenstone you have here to fix it.” He breathed a careful measure of power into the stone and it warmed in his hand. A thin curl of smoke rolled up from its surface.

“Wait,” said Norman. He held out Tallis’ pistol and moved away from the door. “Go. Just promise you’ll come back, okay?”

He took the gun and opened the door. “I will. I’ll see you soon.”

Edward moved to follow him.

Tallis turned and put a hand on his father’s shoulder. “You’d better stay here, dad.”

“If you’re going then so am I.”

“This fight is too much for you. What are you going to do?”

“Me? What are you going to do? You’re half dead.”

“Fine.”

Another wail split the air and a pair of dark wings flitted in front of the sun.

Tallis looked down at the gun in his hand. “There wouldn’t happen to be a gunsmith handy would there? We might need something with a little more heft to it.”

Ed nodded and led the way down the street. Something heavy thudded to the earth behind them. The rotten smell of wet decay rolled over them and the Devil snorted. Tallis crushed the redstone in his fist and threw a sheet of flame at the monster. It staggered back with a snarl. Thick, black smoke rose from its fur and the stench of burnt hair did nothing to improve it’s aroma.

Tallis gagged.

He gave his father a gentle shove forward. “Go. I’ll catch up.” He raised his gun, put three bullets into the demon and took off down the street, running away from Edward. The Devil growled and charged after him. Fear gave his feet wings and he ran harder than he ever had before in his life. He barreled around a corner and ran headlong into a knot of Cold Iron Officers. They were all leaned up against buildings and lamp posts, chatting idly and smoking cigarettes.

The lead detective held out a hand towards him. “Slow down, buddy. Got some questions for you.”

Tallis paid the officers no mind and barreled forward. The demon came after him.

Weapons flew from the holsters and rounds rattled into chambers. “He’s a Faerunner,” shouted the lead detective. “Shoot him!”

Tallis shot first. A bullet slammed through the detective’s knee and a nexus of red light flared around him. He fell down with a curse. Tallis ran through the clump of officers, sprinting for an alley down the street. At the very least it would give him a little cover.