"Hello...Safdar, it's Komal. Sorry, I didn't realize it was so late. I can call later"

"No, no. It's ok, I wasn't asleep yet", his voice suddenly perked up, making me blush. 

"Is everything ok?", he asked while I walked back to my bedroom. There was no need for anyone to notice my flustered self. 

"Yes, I just wanted to check up on Kamran. I've been trying to call him but he doesn't pick up. Not sure if he's even seeing my messages"

"I've barely seen him either this week. But today I think he went to sleep early because of his job interview tomorrow"

Wait? What?

"What job interview? Doesn't he still have at least a couple of years to go in his PhD?"

"Oh, I guess he didn't tell you", Safdar paused, "He has been applying for jobs for the last 2 weeks. He is convinced that Farah's parents rejected his proposal because he is still a grad student and doesn't have a well-paying job"

That was news to me, but also I had to point out, "Technically, no one has rejected anything. We just haven't heard from Farah's parents. But hopefully, they'll be there at the wedding and I can work my magic on them"

He laughed, that low throaty kind that raises your body's temperature, "I am sure you will. Though, between you and me, I am not sure why Kamran is doing a PhD in the first place. He complains about it all the time and has no interest in academia"

Kamran's PhD was not why I had called Safdar, but it felt so natural and homely talking to him, I lay down on my bed and put my phone on speaker. Prepared for the long-haul. 

"Uh, that's thanks to my dad. He's always been on Kamran's case about his studies and I think doing a PhD is just his way of showing him what he is capable of"

I heard the ruffling of bedsheets like he was changing his position in bed and sighed, wishing that I could actually meet him too. 

"That's messed up", he finally said. 

"My family can be pretty messed up. Are you sure you want to marry into that?", I laughed, but then immediately stopped when I realized what I had just blurted out. 

"I...uh...I didn't mean", I tried to speak, our marriage was not something that had been openly discussed at all, but he interrupted me as his deep voice reverberated across my room. 

"Yes. I am absolutely sure"

The silence that followed was broken only by the sound of my rapid breathing and the heat of blood gushing to my face. For the first time I realized just why my two brothers had hung on to the women they had fallen for, despite the distance and time, and the silent void between them. That feeling of wanting someone and being wanted by them, was intoxicating. Even when painful without the physical proximity, it's a feeling that makes you alive, infusing sunshine into your soul and serenity into your mind. It's enough to make you want to move mountains, or hold time still. 

"I am sorry, Komal", Safdar hesitated, "I didn't mean to make this awkward. I know this is not the time for us to talk...with you being so busy"

"No, it's my fault. I shouldn't have said anything", I admitted, he had just responded to my faux pas. 

"How about we call it even?", he let out a small laugh. 

I couldn't help chuckling too, "That works"

Another long pause later he bid adieu, but not before saying softly, "I hope you can work your magic on Farah's family. I am really looking forward to getting the invitation to your brother's wedding...and a chance to meet you"