a head full of confusion

Start from the beginning

I glance up at him then as he suddenly stands, knocking out the other team member who just dropped their football in their basket. Something about the swiftness and confidence with which he takes out the other team members, I believe him. I hesitate for a moment though and Levi looks down at me. "Charlotte." I meet his eyes and there's an emotion there that I can't quite place. But soon I forget about it as he adds, "Go on, I'll protect you."

A jolt shoots through me at those words. I have people around me all the time whose job it is to protect me. I shouldn't doubt another one. But Levi is different. I don't pay him. He's offering to protect me... again. Like he did the night of the storm.

I take a deep breath and nod my head. "Okay."

I dart from my hiding place to the next, trying to make sure that any angle I'm open from is facing my teammates. I want this win. I want it so bad. I need to make it to the basket. Several shots hammer the canvas sheet I'm currently behind. Not the best hiding spot. It clearly shows my shadow but it was the next nearest thing and I'm just a yard or two away from the base of the stairs. I glance back at Levi, checking to see he's prepared for me to be out in the open. He nods once and I take off again.

The first set of stairs I try I pull back just in time as paintballs splatter the landing. I take a deep breath and trust Levi to have my back. I backtrack to another option: this set of stairs is steeper than the others, the steps spaced a little further apart. My legs shake as I take the stairs as fast as I can while not actually falling. Somehow, well, most likely all thanks to the cover from my teammates, I make it to the top. Worried I will drop the ball or be struck out, I rush my way to the basket and as soon as I drop the football into it, I feel like I can breathe again. I laugh lightly to myself, still panting and to the sound of cheers from my teammates I raise my arms in celebration briefly before heading back down to join my other teammates. That's when I hear it.

"Get her!" The shout comes from my left and before I can comprehend what's happening, a paintball slams into my left arm.

Did you know those suckers hurt when you're hit with them? Yeah, I really don't think Luc planned this date out well. I'm going to have to wear long sleeves and pants for the next week or cover myself with makeup to hide all the bruises I'm sure to have.

I sigh, not surprised to have been out and keep heading down the stairs. What I'm not expecting are the next two shots, one to each leg. I almost trip a step but am able to keep myself steady as I glance around looking to see exactly where Mega Jerk is lurking, but I can't find him. I can practically feel his laughter though and I know I'm right when yet another shot lands right where I was about to place my foot.

I can't help but let out a surprised yelp. At this point I'm almost used to being hit by the paintballs. But I'm not used to this level of him toying with me. I grit my teeth and am grateful for my mask as I finally hear my team return fire. I quickly make my way back to the can to tag back into the game. I really need this date to be over.

I almost feel guilty for the thought when I return to my team. They all give me high fives and Noah even hugs me in congratulations. They seem to be having a good time, even as they groan at the celebratory cheers from the other team as they drop another football into the basket. It's a tied game and all of a sudden, I have never wanted to win a game more than I do now.

Levi seems to sense my need for the game to just continue as he takes over, handing the football to Noah. Noah heads toward the raised platform, the football neatly tucked under his arm and we all notice the other team has also regrouped and is inching towards the nearest set of stairs. I find my tormentor in the shadows, waiting and I move forward, heading to a space where I can get a good shot off but also have cover.