Chapter Twenty-Two: Trepidatious Steps Forward

Start from the beginning

If she intended to arrange a sleepover with her betrothed, it would be a clandestine one. Not that anyone would truly care, if Hamoni's attitude was any indication.

As she got ready for bed, Alori wondered what her grandmother would make of her messy predicament with the blue-haired bard. She'd never ask the marchioness' opinion, of course, but Alori couldn't help but think that Hamoni would find a way to laugh the whole thing off, a feat Alori was sure she would never manage, even if she lived to be as old and gray as her grandmother.

♪♫♪

It was close to noon when Alori dragged herself out of bed the next day. She couldn't remember the last time she'd slept so late, but she tried to cut herself some slack. She'd only gotten nine hours of sleep, and she'd been exhausted. Truth be told, she was still exhausted.

The rest of the Villenatas were in the royal family's private dining room eating lunch when she joined them. Both her sisters were quiet and focused on their meals, which was unusual for Liahfey, but their brother more than made up for the girls' silence with a stream of unending questions about Alori's demon encounter that had Hamoni unleashing her rare and terrifying stern voice on him. 

"Don't test me, Arias Renji Villenata." The marchioness pointed her spoon at the young prince. "For your sake, I hope you never have the misfortune of encountering a demon."

"I hope I do." The wonder and total disregard for authority in Arias' voice was concerning.

Hamoni scoffed, sharing a long-suffering look across the table with the king, her expression seeming to say, The apple didn't fall far from the tree with this one, son.

Ira jabbed her twin in his side and Arias scowled, swatting her hand away. At least he wasn't harassing Alori any longer.

She thought she might be able to finish her salad in peace, but Hamoni had a different idea. 

"Where is your fiancé, dear?"

"I wasn't sure he'd be comfortable eating with the family yet," Alori said without looking up from her plate. 

"Ah," Hamoni murmured. "I see."

Alori didn't doubt it. Her grandmother missed nothing.

No one else commented on her engagement or asked after Taelan's absence, which was a small mercy, except she wasn't hungry anymore. Her father was the first to rise from the table and she eagerly followed him, abandoning her half-eaten lunch. She walked a few paces behind him as he headed toward the stairs, a familiar gloomy feeling settling under her skin. 

Without his crown, the king resembled any other wealthy lord of the Ville-Realms in a well-tailored jacket and trousers. His brown hair was beginning to gray around the temples, and a few shallow lines stood out on his forehead, but otherwise he looked young and healthy for his thirty-nine years. It always made her a little sad to see him walking alone.

When Alori was younger it had seemed like her parents were eternal, like they'd been together for time immemorial. Now that she knew better her heart ached for her father. He had lost the love of his life much too soon. None of them had gotten enough time with their queen.

"Father," she called, matching his quick strides over the violet and sapphire carpet.

She assumed he was going downstairs to convene with his advisors in the throne room. Usually she joined him for such meetings, but she wouldn't be expected to do so again until she was married. Now that she was engaged, her primary responsibility other than tending the shield was to plan her wedding. But after what had happened in Ville-Tokki, coupled with her father's admission that there had been other attempted attacks, she couldn't afford to take a step back.