Chapter Twenty-One: That Fateful, Frightful Night

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"What do you mean?" Taelan's concern sent a lance of pain through her chest. 

Was she destined to continue hurting him until he couldn't take it anymore? Until she couldn't take it?

"Yuka sounded worried that he couldn't see me when I first made contact, so I created a visual plane. I'd done it before and it had been simple. It seemed to be working, but then we both began to forget things. I didn't remember I was there to guide him out of his fever dream, or where I'd come from, what I was supposed to do, anything."

"What happened?" Reeve's hands were folded loosely in his lap, and he'd spoken in a casual tone, but Alori could tell by the tightness around his eyes that he suspected something. 

Had Yuka confessed to Reeve that he was attracted to Alori? Perhaps he hadn't needed to. Yuka had been bold with his flirtation from the beginning. Alori had thought him facetious. It hadn't occurred to her that his bluster might have hidden true feelings. Lustful feelings.

"It's all right," Taelan said too quickly. "You don't have to explain right now. Just relax."

Did he suspect her as well? Had she been talking– or worse– in her fevered sleep? If he'd heard all the indecent things she'd said, she wouldn't be able to bear it. She leaned back against the wall, holding herself away from Taelan. She squeezed her eyes closed and concentrated on the jostling of the carriage over the cobbled roads. It was all she could do not to cry. 

"We're about an hour out," he whispered. His hand fell on her knee, warm and reassuring and then gone.

The desire to cuddle into him was overwhelming, but she forced herself to show restraint. Taelan didn't deserve her tainted love.

An hour of this? It was a form of torture she hadn't realized existed. 

♪♫♪

It was the dead of night when they arrived in Ville-Saseum. A pale purple glow illuminated the quiet, winding streets of Amethyst district as they drove toward the palace, a shining beacon on the crest of the city's steepest hill, overlooking the queendom like a living stone construct. 

High above the city, the glimmer of Alori's shield reflected off its white stone walls like prismatic starlight. In other places throughout the Ville-Realms her shield was transparent, but here in the capitol it shone for all to see, a testament to the magic the goddesses had bestowed on their people.

The carriage pulled up to the palace's circular driveway to let out the princess and her entourage of bedraggled bards. Alori hopped down the coach steps and gave Taelan a strained smile, motioning for him to help Reeve with Yuka, who still hadn't awoken. The lanky, blue-haired bard sagged between his shorter companions' shoulders as they lifted him between them, his head tipped forward.

Alori averted her gaze. At least he wasn't mumbling her name anymore.

Her father was waiting on the bottommost step of the grand entrance. Light poured out from within the palace, turning him into an imposing shadow wearing a pointed crown. Liahfey stood next to him, cutting a graceful figure in a lavish white evening gown. The second princess' hair was piled on top of her head in elaborate coils that reminded Alori of a nest of burnished gold serpents.

It was surprising that they were both dressed so well, given the late hour. Perhaps they thought the future bard prince deserved a proper royal reception.

Alori bowed before her father. "You knew we were coming?"

The king nodded tightly. "Kors and his men preceded you. They said you were unconscious with fever, so I'm relieved to see that you've improved. They also briefed me on the conflict in Ville-Tokki." He held out his hands and stepped forward, enfolding her in a hug that threatened to squeeze the breath out of her. "Ali, my sweet girl, I'm so sorry I wasn't there to help you. I never thought a demon would snake its way into your head. They're growing too bold." He leaned back, staring down at her with worried brown eyes. "Are you well now? Is your magic restored?"