8.

"The time is over. Let's go." I had so much things on my mind to say to Thomasina. Ten minutes wasn't enough, eternity wouldn't be enough either.

"Will I be able to see her again?" I got up and walked to Constable.

"Yes, while she's burning at the stake. Hopefully, you won't end up like her." I wanted to run into her arms, but got stopped by the same men like earlier at Thornhill.

"Thomasina! Let me go you bastards!" Hot tears were running down my face and my breath was uncontrollable just like my heartbeat.

"I release you, Abigail. May you be free."

***
"You said you will testify once I let you see her. So please, tell me everything." How could Thomasina ask me to testify against her. Maybe they would let her live if I denied everything.
But I promised her.

"I was bewitched by her. I can't remember anything after the moment she walked through the front door of Thornhill. It's like an amnesia." He watched my every movement. I tried my best to sound convincingly and hoped he would believe it.

"You don't remember anything? Not even the night I came looking for Topaz?"

"No, Constable Keller. I only remember the night she applied for job and then... the basement." My voice was getting more quiet by every word. Conscience was eating me from the inside.

"Alright. She was accused of witchcraft after all, so it does make sence."

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about her?" Thomasina didn't leave the house out of fear, so no one could see her and I surely didn't tell anyone about her either.

"Bridget Smith was telling Tiana Tate about new woman in town."

Bridget...

***
I got released immediately after the interrogation, so I went straight to Bridget's house. She wouldn't tell anyone about Thomasina and I... right?

"Abigail?"

"Did you tell anyone about Thomasina?"  I didn't want to sound aggressive, of course I was angry but that wasn't mine intention.

"Take a seat. Uh well, I told Tiana about  new teacher you hired, nothing more I swear, Abigail." She was telling the truth. I could tell when she lied and this wasn't the case. I kept the eye contact for a second before breaking it.

"Thomasina got arrested few hours ago."

"What?!" Her voice got several octaves higher at that moment. It definitely shocked her and I couldn't blame her actually.

"I will tell you everything. But I need a cup of tea first."

***
"So... She is a witch, killed her husband in self-defense and now they are going to burn her for that?"

"Yes." It took us a good hour to get through everything and it cost a lot of tears and sobs from me.

"When?"

"After sunset." It was almost time for them to bring Thomasina up the hill. It was also my last chance to see her alive.

"I need to go, Bridget." I whispered as I stood up and went to the door.

"I'm going with you, so you know you are not alone." she smiled encouragingly at me and I replied with small nod.

We basically run the whole time. I needed to clean my mind and Bridget just went along, without asking any questions.

People were everywhere. There was probably everyone from Riverdale, waiting for the show to start.

Just after few minutes, Constable and his men dragged  bound Thomasina to the branches and dry wood.

"Thomasina Topaz, you are sentenced to death for killing your husband, practicing witchcraft and for putting Abigail Blossom under your evil spell. Do you want to say something in your defense?"

All the people from our little town were quiet, I had never been surrounded by such silence as now. I could feel the air getting heavier by every breath I took.

"I confess. I confess to everything..." Thomasina's soft whisper could be heard even by the people in the back. No one said anything after that, there was nothing more to say.

Constable's men locked Thomasina's hands behind the woden log where she was surrounded by the smog and intensifying fire. Her eyes were full of tears and yet, full of peace, as if she was ready for the death.

Our eyes met and I felt my heart break into pieces at that sight. At the sights of my beloved being taken away from me.

We promised to each other that we will be together until death do us apart.

But in that moment I realized, until death do us apart wasn't a promise, it was a dare.

I will never forget her screaming voice when the fire got to her body...

***
"I know it's a stupid question but... are you alright?"

"I am doing my best to be, Bridget." It was two days since the night I lost my Thomasina, my heart was still aching but my life must keep going. I was a teacher and I had to do my job.

"We are standing at your back yard, by the grave of woman you loved. Your soulmate died, it's okay to be broken."

"Soulmates never die." I said from the ground.

I buried her behind Thornhill since she didn't have other family members that would take her body and I was visiting her grave all the time.

I packed all my notes for the final class of this day, that I was working on the whole previous night, and stood up.

I never thought I would actually do this, but it was for my Thomasina.

"We will always remember." Bridget replied with a smile as we walked to the classroom. She was staying with me for a while so she joined the lessons as well.

"I decided to cancel today's poetry reading, girls." I informed them when I took my place in the front.

"In honor of Thomasina Topaz... I will tell you everything about the Bailey's comet."