CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

She really didn't want to sit in the principal's office. But she didn't want to sit in the caf. It was clear she needed to stay in the building, but if she went anywhere else, he wouldn't see her there, and he'd assume she'd left. She walked up to her brother's lunch table and waited for him to notice her.

"Hey." He said with a genuine smile.

"Hey." She replied, trying to sound happy. He could read her eyes. She was desperate for a friend.

"Everyone move down!" He yelled to their side of the table. No one rushed to do so. "I said, MOVE THE FUCK DOWN!" He repeated louder. They all did as he asked. He had that power. "Are you getting lunch?" He asked as she sat next to him.

"No. I never eat lunch here." She told him. Aaron knew that. She never ate much anywhere.

"Why's Principal Stone staring at us?" He asked.

"He's making me stay in the building for lunch. I either eat in here or his office." Aaron laughed.

"I'm actually surprised you chose the jocks over him." He teased. She grinned and elbowed him. "Let's wave." Aaron said.

"Wow. Look at you, badass Demarco." She teased. They both looked up and smiled while waving.

"Oh shit." Aaron said through his smile. A bit of panic in his voice. "He doesn't look amused."

"It's fine. He'll get over it." She said through her smile. As lunch period came to an end, Abby received a text.

I had a visitor today. It was from Jace.

Funny, she replied. I had a visitor of sorts, also.

Basically, I'm banned from school property, and I'll be arrested if I even enter the school zone. Aaron was reading the conversation over her shoulder.

Yeah, I can't leave the building during school hours. She replied.

"Was he meeting you during lunch?" Aaron asked. He knew his parents had been trying to figure out where she was still getting drugs being on virtual lockdown.

"Yeah." She admitted. He put his arm around her and hugged her. Secretly, he was happy they'd figured it out and shut it down. Or not so secretly because the twin thing. She knew the hug meant to drop him because she could do better, but that he knew she loved him.

I have to see you. Jace texted back.

I'll figure something out. She replied with a heart emoji. He sent the sun, moon and star emojis back just as the lunch bell rang.

...

He was beginning to loathe sixth period. Abby had lunch at the end of fifth period. She was always coming to his class late. And, he suspected, on drugs. He started class, noting her empty seat. Ten minutes or so into his lesson, she stumbled in, loudly. He looked at her, the whole class looked at her. He wasn't supposed to let her be late. He was supposed to make her leave.

"Abby, please go see Principal Stone." She stared at him dumbfounded. Everyone watched.

"I get shit for not being here. But every time I am here, you make me leave!" She shouted. "Make up your fucking minds!" Everyone gasped. She'd sworn at the teacher. Mr. Harvey's head basically exploded.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Classroom." He said slowly and sternly.

"Fine. I don't fucking want to be here anyway. A million things I'd rather be doing." She stood up and turned to leave.

"Like drugs?" Someone said. She stopped and turned. If looks could kill. She knew it was Tim. He was always such an asshole.

"Like I give a fuck what you say." She snarled at him. He wouldn't look at her.