CHAPTER FIVE

They sat on the bleachers watching Aaron play. His team was winning, in great part, to him. No surprise there. Abby felt better being outside, even if it was unseasonably cool. She was used to football games in late November. Drinking hot chocolate from the concession stand, wrapped in blankets while already wearing several layers. She loved it. She was feeling some of that right now, even though it was early October, and she tried to let it flow through her veins. Jennie noticed Abby smile when Aaron did well on the field. The game was doing Abby some good, whether it be because she was supporting Aaron, she was always his biggest fan, the fresh air, or the normalcy. She smiled; her cheeks were rosy. And while she hadn't dressed up like a mega fan like she used to, she wore his jersey with his sweatshirt underneath. She'd showered, and her hair was brushed.

"Want some?" Her mother asked her, holding out a plate of nachos. Abby smiled; the steaming cheese smelled amazing.

"Sure." She said, taking some.

"Save some cheese for me." Her dad joked, taking a few nachos himself. She smiled; but didn't quite trust herself to laugh. They didn't know it, but principal Stone had been keeping an eye on them. He liked to go to school club events to support his students, be a visual sign of comradery, not just an authority figure. And he liked football, his oldest son had played for a while. Abby seemed to be doing better now that they'd gotten her back to school for a full week. She'd looked awful at the beginning of the week. Everyone could tell she wasn't showering; she'd worn the same clothes practically every day. And she wasn't eating. He could see that in a person before many others, the experience with his own daughter giving him the advantage. She'd put in the least amount of effort possible to be existing. But today she smiled. She had some color. She'd changed her clothes, brushed her hair. She was eating. He casually walked their way, saying hi to a few students and parents as he passed them on the bleachers. He came upon them and smiled. Her parents smiled back.

"Mr. and Mrs. Demarco." He said with a wave and a nod. "Nice to see you both. Aaron's having a hell of a game."

"Absolutely. He'd give nothing less." Jason said with a grin.

"Abby." Principal Stone said, stepping up the bleachers to stand in front of them but to the side so they could still watch Aaron. "It's good to see you out here." Her parents watched without staring, waiting to see what the interaction would bring.

"It's nice to be out here." She admitted, timidly. It felt weird to admit that this was what was good for her while simultaneously trying to hide from the world. He looked out at the field in just enough time to see Aaron sprint for an interception, missing the ball by inches. He tumbled to the ground with the wide receiver. The crowd roared. Abby jumped to her feet, grinning and shouting while she clapped.

"He has wings on his cleats!" Principal Stone shouted. Jason and Jennie let Abby have this.

"He always has." She said, still standing as the crowd quieted down and sat. "Imagine me as a kid trying to outrun him when I'd done something to piss him off or played a trick on him." She said, grinning. The principal laughed. "I learned some basic physics back then. Quickest way to your mother is a straight line and a loud shriek." Jennie burst into laughter remembering those exact moments. And then Abby remembered Sierra, and how she'd often intervene, knowing Aaron would be nicer to her. "Or," Abby said, thinking fuck it, "Have your best friend run interference to give you a head start." Her parents smiled, but they didn't say anything. They weren't sure it was safe to do so, letting Abby speak of Sierra only when she was ready. Principal Stone knew who she was referring to, and he knew they were on the outs. He was glad that she felt comfortable at least reliving a memory.

"Childhood torture aside, you two are lucky to have each other. A lot of your peers aren't close with their siblings. They don't have what you two have." Principal Stone pointed out.