It was unknown exactly who had called out, but exclamations soon broke out within the crowd. The gazes on him soon changed. No one was dumb. With just one glance, the public could tell that those bodies were not ones that belonged to a friendly face. What conspiracy exacted to result in the corpse of a servant from the Marquis Manor to be mixed in with them? The civilians had momentarily forgotten their fear and strained their neck to watch what play would ensue with great interest.

"This, Xiao Wu, what's wrong with Grandma Wei? It can't be that you... killed her?"

Seeing that situation was not in her favor, Liu Shuhan pointed at the corpse with a trembling finger. She then pointed at Shen Liang and her face revealed the appropriate horror and fear. Liu Shuhan also didn't forget to pull her daughter back two steps as to clearly convey her fear of Shen Liang.

"No madame. It was Grandma Wei..."

"Qi Xuan!"

Seeing such, Qi Xuan who had been silent up until now hurried forward but was stopped by Shen Liang. Under the gaze of the public, Shen Liang slowly stood up and stepped towards the mother-daughter pair step by step. Those who looked closely would realize that his every steep was solemn and heavy, but his back was straight, and his attire didn't have the slightest supple. He carried himself like the nobles from the palace, cultured and extraordinary.

"Although Mother is not my birth mother, I am still the legitimate heir of the Marquis Manor. For Mother to doubt this child, wouldn't this child's heart feel cold?"

As he stood before Liu Shuhan, Shen Liang's tone was steady and without turbulence. Before Liu Shuhan could argue and explain, he continued, "As I was approaching the outskirts of Longyang County today, Grandma Wei, Jin Zhi, and the coachman whom Mother has sent as my entourage colluded with bandits to retrieve my life. This child escaped with great difficulty, yet Mother suspects that this child murdered them? This child himself wanted to ask Mother why would your subordinates be found colluding with bandits? How could mere servants gain the audacity to scheme and harm me?"

Every word Shen Liang spoke was delivered sonorous and powerful. They had lied and ridiculed him in his past life. Shen Liang was sure to repay it ten fold, a hundred fold!

"What? How could Grandma Wei..."

Liu Shuhan covered her mouth in shock and her eyes widened in shock and disbelief. Her pretense was to be applauded for. It was no wonder she was able to deceive Shen Liang for so long in his previous life.

"Fifth brother, are you suspecting Mother orchestrated and instructed Grandma Wei to harm you? How can that be? When Mother was aware of your return, she had long since ordered the courtyard you resided in previously to be cleaned and tidied. She even organized several servants for you. How could you be so unfilial as to pin the blame on Mother?"

Shen Qiang stepped forward to hold Liu Shuhan's arm. Her reddened eyes appeared especially delicate and angered. 

The doubt that was seeded among the public by Shen Liang's words were just about to take root when it was suppressed by the tacit cooperation and pretense put up by the mother daughter pair. After all, those servants had indeed been sent by Liu Shuhan and servants indeed could not muster the audacity to act against their masters without someone to fan the fire. But with the two's superb acting, the public could not help but contemplate whether this was deliberately provoked by someone else. Perhaps there was another conspiracy. At the same time, they were shocked by Shen Liang's identity as the legitimate heir of the Marquis Manor. 

"Seventh sister sure is a filial daughter. A pity. It seems like seventh sister does not welcome me as a brother."

Shen Liang smiled and turned his gaze toward her decisively. This was the second time she had stepped out to divert the public's attention. For her to be so scheming at the young age of fourteen, he had really underestimated Shen Qiang.

"How can fifth brother say so? You're my brother. How could sister not like you?"

The moist eyes were rosy and emerging tears threatened to pool out. They were like golden beans that would fall out at any time and those who saw couldn't help but feel distressed. Along with that, the gazes that fell on Shen Liang were also not without blame. For him to provoke such a beauty was too inappropriate and unsuitable for a gentleman. 

"Oh? Is that right? Grandma Wei was the servant who was part of Mother's dowry. Jin Zhi is a second-tier maid from Mother's chambers. The rest were all people arranged by Mother herself. They collude with bandits and came after my life. If it was anyone, wouldn't the first suspect be the master behind the servants? After all, I'm different from seventh sister. I'm not Mother's brith child. I'm the legitimate son from Father's first official wife. My doubts are justifiable but seventh sister jumped out immediately to accuse me of being unfilial. And now with a single glance at Grandma Wei's body, she accused me of being a murderer with no good reason, but seventh sister didn't seem to have any reactions then. Can anyone blame me to think otherwise? That perhaps seventh sister doesn't welcome me?"

With such a deliverance, not only was his position and title clarified, but also implied Shen Qiang's intentions. Shen Liang's smile never diminished as he peer at the people before him as though staring at a joke.

"I, I was just frightened! This one has never seen a dead body before."

Sensing the fiery gazes on her, Shen Qiang's face reddened and deliberately stomped her foot coquettishly. Her tone was spoiled and once again dodged the accusations thrown her way by Shen Liang's words.

"Some people are much cuter dead than alive."

Shen Liang deliberately swept his gaze over them, "Was Mother unaware about Grandma Wei's collusion with bandits and attempt for my life?"

"Of, of course I'm unaware. This d*mn slave! To have such audacity to harm Xiao Wu! Xiao Wu, rest assured, Mother will definitely deliver you justice!"

Liu Shuhan appeared indignant. Her gaze toward Shen Liang was filled with distress. Those who didn't know any better could only grasp how heartbroken she was for Shen Liang.

"Then I'll have to trouble Mother."

With the narrow of his eyes, Shen Liang clenched his fist and decided to allow it be for the time being, "I'm afraid those from the Court will arrive soon. This child is not in good health. I'll leave the rest to Mother and trouble Mother to pass the message to Grandmother. This child will apy his respects tomorrow."

After enduring for so long, Shen Liang could no longer fight against his fever. The future was long and he would had plenty of time to toy with them.

"Might as well. You've been injured. Afterward, I'll have the physician come and take a look. If your courtyard lacks anything, don't forget to let Mother know."

Liu Shuhan who had been oppressed by Shen Liang's momentum had wanted to end this play long ago. She originally intended to reach for his hands as to display intimacy, but then considering how Shen Liang had just touched the corpse just a moment ago, the hand that had been extended retracted again. "Yueming, escort the fifth young master."

"Yes."

A young girl in her late teens stepped out, "Fifth young master, please, this way."

Shen Liang folded his hands as he looked up at the plaque of the Marquis Donglin Manor. He raised his head and then headed in. Qi Yue and Qi Xuan returned to the carriage to move a large wooden trunk before trailing after. The departure of the three master and servants also signaled the closing of the curtains on this one play. It was just that after such an event, the citizens of Imperial City would undoubtedly have one more topic and gossip to talk over tea and food for a long time to come.