Chapter Eighteen: Not a Dream, Not a Nightmare

Start from the beginning

"I do have one question I would ask the demon, in private."

"I can't recommend that, Your Highness. Without his book in hand, Dantalion's powers are greatly diminished, but he is still an unpredictable danger."

"I understand that, Kors."

Alori tried very hard not to groan aloud. Paladin Kors was a fine guardsman, but his tendency to assume she needed coddling and a child's explanation at every turn, was becoming an annoyance. She was the Shieldmaker, and she was no longer without her magic.

What did he think she was planning to do, prance away with Thelix into the shadows between the cottages, where no eyes would be on her?

"I'll cast a barrier of silence. It will be perfectly safe." She started down the path toward Thelix, not looking behind to see who was keeping up. "If his answer displeases me," she added over her shoulder, a smirk pulling up her lips, "who knows, I might nix him on the spot."

Hira gasped.

Alori stopped and spun around to face the doe-eyed mendmage, muttering an oath under her breath. "I'm sorry, Hira. It was a bad joke. I won't hurt Thelix, as promised."

Taelan shook his head in disbelief, or something like it.

What did he expect her to say? She sighed, pushing her gnarled hair behind her shoulders. "I'm sorry. I'm aggravated, all right...? It just came out. I don't like being treated like I'm clueless, because of how I look. It's frustrating."

"Of course, my lady." Taelan's deep voice held an edge of an emotion Alori couldn't pin down.

She stared at him, baffled. "What? It is. It's very frustrating."

"I know."

She huffed at the fleeting grin that appeared on her raven-haired bard's soft pink lips. 

Why did she have to fall in love with the confusing one?

"Good," she said impatiently. "I'm glad we came to the same conclusion. Now, let's get this over with, shall we?"

And to think, this morning she'd expected to be headed home by evening, with Taelan as her fiancé, nothing to worry about in their near future except how many dark corners they could find to sneak off to together.

What a difference a day could make.

A shiver of trepidation stirred within her as they set off down the slushy path toward Thelix and Dantalion. 

♪♫♪

Thelix was crouched on the ground, digging his fingers in the mud as if the ground wasn't freezing. He looked up at Alori through strands of filthy hair, his head cocked to the side. He resembled a spider sizing up its prey, but she wasn't frightened of him. And she wasn't afraid of Dantalion, either.

"You said this land belongs to the demons. What did you mean?"

She wouldn't waste time with pleasantries, nor would she announce that she'd already cast the barrier spell to keep the conversation between her and the infernal demon. 

Taelan and Paladin Kors stood several paces away, watching the scene without context. Later she might explain why she'd needed discretion, but right now privacy was necessary.

Thelix– or was it Dantalion?– narrowed his eyes, as if he was dubious why she would ask him to elaborate. He pulled his fingers out of the ground and wiped the grime on his thighs, then stood face to face with her.