Chapter Forty: Voice From the Past

Chapter Forty

Reece’s POV

            “Juliet!!” I call as I stand by my closet and Rider is panting by my side. I would holler for Conner, but he had a morning class and is already gone, leaving Juliet or my mom to help me, so I will go with Juliet.

            Running my hand through my hair that is beginning to get longer, too long for me, I’m starting feel like I have JB hair. I can hear footsteps near my room and then finally enter it.

            “What can I do for you my dear brother?” he asks her voice seems tired.

            “Can you please help me pick out some clothes?” I ask and my nose begins to pick up on a strong smell. Scratch that, two strong smells, one is strong perfume trying to cover up the other odor. What is that smell? I ask myself as I hear her footsteps never my side and the smell grows closer and the bitter smoky smell grows stronger. The clinging of the clothes hanger as she goes through my closet distracts me for a second before I return to think.

            “Here is a white shirt, black jacket and dark jeans so go get dressed,” she says as I groan as Juliet drapes the clothes onto the arm that is not holding Rider’s harness. Making my way carefully to the bathroom I do my normal way of getting ready and the step back into my room.

            “How do I look?” I ask her.

            “Let me do your hair,” she says as she nears me and finally she is right in front of me and I can smell her very well now.

            “Sure,” I reply and feel her begin to mess with my hair. Finally all of a sudden, like a train, I recognize the smell.

            “Juliet, have you been smoking?” I ask her my voice slightly laced in confusion. Why would my sweet little baby sister smoke?

            “What? Reece, are you crazy?” she asks me in shock and I feel her hands in my hair and then finally she retrieves them. “Done,” she mumbles.

            “I’m not crazy Juliet, you smell like cigarettes,” I argue back and then the doorbell rings.

            “I’ll get that,” Juliet says and I can hear her feet start to move.

            “This is not over,” I call to her crossing my arms over my chest.

            Groaning I reach down and grab the harness walk over to my bed and sitting down. Please don’t let my sister be smoking! I don’t understand why she would? Did I do something? Is she okay? I am so confused. I feel like this is all my fault and I cannot help but blame myself. I rub my face in my hands and release a groan. I am an awful big brother.