Chapter Thirty-Eight: Angel

Payton’s POV

            Silence. That’s all I hear. The awkward, uncomfortable silence, when I enter the cafeteria. Every set of eyes seem to be glued on me as I walk into the overly crowded room. I take my place in the shrinking lunch line, keeping my head down. I hate attention, always have and always will. So all these eye on me is seriously causing me discomfort. Hugging my arms to my chest tightly I just want to disappear as I try to ignore all the stares and slight whispers feeling the air. Looking down I watch as the feet in front of me move along the line and I follow.

            Keeping to myself in high school was great because I never got bullied, no one knew me, I was left unbothered. Now it’s gone, just like many other things. I am no longer invisible, instead it’s as if there is a spot light on me and I am wearing a flashing shirt. How can dating one guy make such a big difference?

            Dumb question, because the answer is simple, who the guy is, Reece Collins, or as rude, insensitive people around here like to call him when they think we can’t hear, ‘blind boy’. I swear people are so cruel to treat him that way. He is a freaking hero. Taking a step forward I finally reach the lunch window.

            You see my school has three places you get lunch from, the window where you get bagged lunch, where I am, cold lunch line, and warm lunch line which are long line where you get trays of food. No matter the food you get it all tastes crappy. I look up facing the lunch lady behind the counter. She has brown hair up in a fish net, there are big black frames on her face due to her poor vision, and she is on the plump side in a tight white uniform. A scowl looks to be engraved in her face, which is not fitting.

            “What would you like?” the lady says in a monotone uncaring voice.

            “Two bags,” I say simply and the lady looks at me lazily and places two brown paper bags a top the counter and I grab them walking to the ID card scanner that pays for our food, I wave my card in front of it twice seeing as Reece’s didn’t hand me his.

            I turn around to head back to the foot ball field when my eyes land on someone I am really trying to avoid seeing. In this dead silent room I watch as her blue/grey eyes lock with mine and I quickly look away. The beautiful blonde whose wearing a sparkly turquoise top with white skinny jeans that has a black belt hanging on it and she has high, black leather boots. A smile appears on Clair’s face revealing her shining white teeth as she nears me.

            Oh crap! I have to get out of here! There will be no good coming from her nearing me. So I will my feet to move quicker as I reach the door and go as fast as my feet will carry me out the side door or the building. Stealing a glance behind me I see no one is there, so I slow down steadying my breath. The big tall bleachers come into my view. I walk closer to it and reach the chain length fence ahead of me that surrounds the bright green turfs. Reece is perched in the center of the field where I left him and I spot the broad back of and short black hair that belongs to none or other than Jace.

            What is that boy up to? I cannot believe he is actually talking to Reece. I walk through the opening and head very slowly to where they are seated. When I get into hearing distance I hear Reece say yes to Jace. Continuing towards them I finally stop beside Reece and sit down on the turf beside him folding my legs over each other. “Here,” I say as I drop a brown bag onto Reece lap. I am not sure on how Reece want to do this so I sit there and open my own bag.

            “Hi there Payton!” Jace says to me with a big smile and I roll my eyes. He is wearing a grey football t-shirt with a blue base ball jacket over top and a pair of blue jeans and nikes. He looks ok, nothing compared to Reece.