Chapter Nineteen: Learning the Stick

Chapter Nineteen

Reece’s POV

            “Reece! Wake up!” a girl’s voice says in my ear and I am confused. I know that voice, as my brain starts to work again I begin to process whose voice that was. “Wake up,” it repeats and now that my brain is on I realize it is my mom.

            I peel my eyes and am met by the ever unfriendly darkness. “Yes, mom?” I ask tiredly. Yesterday wore me out and I couldn’t sleep well last night. I kept thinking about all of the hell that Payton has been through and all the suffering that she was put through. I cannot fathom the thought of one of my little sisters being that sick. Payton is one the strongest people I know for handling it all and it also makes her beautiful.

            “Did you forget what today was?” my mom asks and I can hear a chuckle in her voice. Today? Wait what is today? Then it hits me! I was so caught up in what Payton had told me that getting to go home slipped my mind!

            “I get go home,” I say with a small smile appearing on my face.

            “Yeah, and we have someone who is coming in to teach you how to you a stick to walk,” she tells me and I feel her grab my hand lightly in her warm one.

            “Great,” I say sarcastically. I feel so in competent when other people try to help me. I’m the person who helps others and it feels weird when I am now the one who is being helped, and I don’t like it.

            “Oh be happy! This is for the best!” my mom says in a slightly scolding tone.

            “Fine,” I groan in defeat, it would be nice to learn how to walk without running into things. I think that if I run into one more things I am going have a concussion. “What time does the person get here?” I ask because I just want go home! This stupid bed is killing my back and I just want the feeling of my home around me.

            “Ten minutes at the most,” she says with a smile and I nod my head. I always did wonder if the sticks really work. Finally I hear a door crept open and footsteps that have a different beat to them enter the room. “Hi!” my mom says with a happy voice.

            “Hello, are you the Collins?” a deep male voice asks. Is that who’s going to teach me? I wonder and I hear my mom stand up.

            “Yes, are you Carter?” she asks and I hear him come closer.

            “Yes, I am Carter Alexander,” the boy says and he sounds like he is in his early twenties.

            “Well this is Reece and I guess I will leave you two to get to it,” my mom’s sweet voice says as she exists the room. The other footsteps approach my bed and I throw the blanket off of my body and sit up.