Chapter 10

Seek POV

When silence followed my confession, my worry grew. I knew I was blushing, and I didn't dare open my eye to face the entity in front of me. However, instead of a voice, I was met with the sudden sensation of warmth. Curiosity prompted me to open my eye.

I hesitantly opened my eye, taking in the scene around me. Figure's long arms were wrapped around me, holding me close beside him. I slowly reciprocated, embracing the tall entity.

"I was hoping you'd say that," Figure's voice murmured. He rested his head on top of mine, and we remained still for several moments. I closed my eye once again, but this time, I did it out of relief. I got used to the feeling of Figure's arms around me, and simply allowed myself to relax.

"Congratulations!" A voice rang out from behind me. My eye shot open, and I squirmed around in Figure's grasp to see who had spoken. I was surprised to see Glitch, Rush, Ambush, Screech, Jack, Timothy, Glitch, and Eyes all standing in front of the doors to the library.

Jack teased, "Oh, what do we have here?" Feeling my face grow red, I quickly shoved Figure away, hoping I didn't push him too roughly. The fleshy entity recovered quickly, taking a step away from me. I coughed, awkwardly pretending that hadn't happened and waiting for the other entities to speak.

Before any of them could say anything, the doors of the library burst open, Halt rushing through them. "Now hold on just a second," he demanded. "Aren't you all meant to be doing your jobs right now?"

Eyes glanced at Halt, reasoning, "You're the one who said you would take our shifts for a minute."

"For a minute," Halt specified. "I thought you all just needed some time to get to your places, but instead, you were doing whatever this is!"

I blinked at Halt, unamused by his argument. Sighing, I asked, "Rush, could you take my shift for now?"

Rush nodded, "Of course."

"Great," I replied snappily. Pointing at the other entities, I raised my voice to a yell, "Now as for all of you, get out!"

All glancing at each other, the entities nodded, filtering out of the room one after another. Halt was the last to leave, glaring at me and Figure as he exited the room.

Figure. How could I forget that he was standing right beside me the whole time? Facing him, I stated, "That was strange. At least the room is quiet now."

Figure shook his head. "No, not completely. I can still hear your heartbeat." He hesitated, remaining silent for a moment. Gradually, he added, "And I want to feel it too."

I blushed from Figure's statement and was almost glad he couldn't see it. "Let's go up the stairs where there's a couch," I suggested, beginning to walk in that direction. The tall entity followed, sitting on the couch when we arrived. I sat beside him.

Feeling Figure wrap one of his arms around me, I moved closer to him, leaning against him. He lifted his other arm as well, embracing me tightly.

"You really don't want me to escape, do you?" I joked.

"Of course not," Figure grabbed one of my hands and held it. He then paused for a moment, seemingly asking for reassurance. I squeezed his hand, making sure he knew I was happy.

"It's so strange," I began whimsically, "how this all happened so quickly."

Figure replied, "Yes. But it wouldn't have been so quick if Glitch hadn't encouraged me to talk to you."

Looking towards Figure, I exclaimed, "Screech encouraged me too!"

Chuckling, Figure stated, "I guess our friends were helping us all along, even when they locked us in a tiny room for ten minutes."

"Yeah, I guess so," I agreed, suddenly feeling tired in Figure's arms. I asked, "Do you mind if I get some sleep?'

"Of course not," Figure smiled gently. "Go ahead."

With that, I snuggled closer to the tall entity, seeking warmth. His soft, fleshy body was comfortable, making me drowsy as I shut my eye. However, before I could rest, an entity barged into the room.

Moving away from Figure, I stood quickly. I was sure to not let the entity see us together like we were. Grabbing Figure's hand, I helped him stand up. I let go and stepped down the stairs, approaching the entity who had entered.

"I got a human," Rush explained," but now, it's up to you. I need some rest."

And I was about to get some rest. However, it was difficult for me to be agitated. I was still filled with overwhelming joy from realizing my feelings for Figure weren't one-sided.

"Hello? Seek?" Rush snapped me out of my thoughts. "Could you please go to your hallway?"

"Alright," I accepted, passing Rush and yelling goodbye to Figure before I pushed open the bronze doors of the library. Exiting, I made my way down the hallway where I would stop any invading humans.

I was determined to prove Halt wrong. I can love Figure and still do my job well. In my opinion, his argument held no weight, and it didn't make sense why he was so insistent on forcing it.

Whether I was trying to disprove Halt or not, I still had to get my job done. I had cleared my mind of Figure for the sole purpose of focusing on catching humans. When I got to my designated hallway, I sank into the ground, hiding out of sight.

Despite trying to avoid thoughts of Figure, they always found their way to me. I remembered how comfortable I had been cuddling with the entity, and how quickly we had gotten used to it. I just wished I had the chance to go back to him instead of waiting around for some humans to pass by.

But Halt was right about one thing. My job was important. And the better I did, the sooner I would be able to take a break to see Figure again. Surely one of the other entities would be willing to stand in for me while I rested.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps sounding above me. I was able to make out three different patterns of steps, each belonging to a different human. As they neared the edge of the hallway, I prepared to run. Finally, the fun part of the job!

Word Count: 1076