Chapter 8

Seek POV

As I entered the library, I saw Figure wandering around, likely looking for a book. He clearly heard me, turning towards me and greeting, "Hello, I was just waiting for you."

"What do you need?" I asked, placing my phone on his desk and moving towards him.

"Well," Figure explained, "Jack, Rush, and Screech are going on a walk through the hotel. I'm joining them. You'll come with me, right?"

Figure's offer made my face light up. "Of course!" I responded excitedly.

"Great!" Jack shouted from across the library. I hadn't noticed him entering, but he was clearly listening to us. Weird.

Rush and Screech followed behind Jack, both looking equally eager. I was confused, asking, "Are you guys really this excited for a walk?"

All three entities looked at each other, and then nodded at the same time. It was strange, but I thought nothing of it and made my way to the stairs in the library. Approaching door 51, I removed the lock, opening the door.

Figure was close behind me, and the other entities followed as well. I turned to all of them, asking, "How far should we go?"

Screech suggested, "Maybe until we get to the garden."

Shrugging, I agreed, "Okay." With that, we began walking. I noticed Figure had placed one hand on the wall, using it to guide himself through the rooms. Seeing he was struggling, I reached out my hand, grabbing his and helping him through the next door.

"Thank you," Figure said gratefully as we walked. He didn't let go of me, so I didn't let go of him. I didn't want to let go of him. His soft hand was comfortable around mine. Lowering my head, I felt myself blush.

Was I in love with Figure?

I thought for a moment, making sure the other entities couldn't see my face. Shaking my head, I decided, I'll think about that later. For now, let's just keep walking.

Eventually, we made it to a small, square room, about halfway to the garden. As Figure and I entered, still holding hands, I noticed the others lagged behind. Why were they taking so long?

As I turned around to confront the other entities, the door slammed shut. I heard Screech, Rush, and Jack laughing, and then the room went silent. What the heck are they doing?

Letting go of Figure, I ran and banged on the door. "Did you guys lock this? What do you want from us?" I yelled at the three entities, but only hushed giggles came from the other side of the door. Angry, I dashed across the room, testing the next door. Of course, it was locked as well.

"What's happening?" Figure asked. "Did they lock us in here?"

"Yeah," I answered, turning to face him. At least I was stuck with him and not Screech or any of the other entities. Maybe this isn't so bad.

I wasn't willing to show Figure that I would give up so easily. Running to the door, I yelled again, "You useless entities, could you please just open this and be done with this joke?"

"Calm down," Figure insisted from across the room. Turning around, I saw that he had sat down in a corner, leaning against the walls. "Come here. We can have a better conversation if we relax."

Groaning, I crossed the room, sitting beside Figure. I explained, "I just don't see why they would trap us in here. Is this some kind of joke?"

"I guess so," Figure said, "but I'm sure they'll let us out eventually. For now, let's think of something to pass the time."

Slowly nodding, I asked, "What is there to talk about? Other than the fact that our friends locked us in here and we don't know why."

Figure randomly smiled. I was confused until he began, "See? Calming down can help. Your heartbeat is slower."

Suddenly, I had a question. "Can you hear your own heartbeat?"

The tall entity remained still for several moments, likely thinking about his answer. Then, he turned towards me, responding, "I don't know if I have a heartbeat." Another moment of silence. Then, he questioned, "Can you hear it?"

"What?"

"I want you to see if you can hear it."

"Uh- okay." Hesitantly, I moved towards him, bringing my head closer to him and listening for any sound. "I can't hear it," I placed a hand on his chest, "but I can feel it."

Then, I realized just how close I was to Figure. Feeling my face heat up, I yanked myself away from him, sitting down where I was before. Staring at the ground, I became lost in my thoughts.

Wouldn't now be a great time to tell him how I feel?

My own mind surprised me. 'How I feel?' Why am I thinking about that again? And yet, turning and looking at Figure gave me some kind of joy I couldn't explain. Maybe there was some truth to the thoughts I had been having lately.

Maybe I did like Figure.

The more I thought about it, the less I was able to deny it. It would explain why I blushed when he was nearby, and how I felt when I spoke to him.

Looking at Figure, I began to feel nervous. What if he doesn't like me? I don't want to ruin our friendship.

While I was having this dilemma, I heard a sound from outside the door. Within another moment, the door cracked open, and Screech was peering inside.

Screech POV

We had waited outside of the room for several minutes, hoping to hear Seek and Figure confess their feelings for each other. Listening to their conversation about Figure's heartbeat was interesting, but other than that, I was disappointed that not much happened.

Silence had been dragging on for many minutes, and I turned to Rush, whispering, "Do you think we should let them out now?"

"Why should we?" Rush whispered back.

"Nothing interesting is happening," I reasoned, "and I don't want to sit here all night."

Jack joined into the conversation. "Well, what do we say to them when they get out?"

Considering any options I could think of, I decided, "We won't tell them. We'll open the door and then run."

Jack and Rush looked at each other, and then back at me. "Sounds good," Rush said, preparing to sprint away from the door. Counting down from three, I waited to open the door. Then, I pushed it open the tiniest little bit, and we all peeked inside.

Seek was staring directly at us. With that, we all ran down the hallway, laughing along the way.

Word Count: 1112