Chapter 5

Figure POV

"Hello?" I asked into the microphone, waiting for a response.

"Hey!" I heard Seek's wonderful voice from the phone I held in my hand.

It's so weird how we can talk while we're in different rooms. I decided to start a conversation. "Is this something we'll do regularly now?"

"I hope so," Seek replied into the phone. He then asked, "What's it like in the library right now?"

Glancing around the room, I found the answer to my question. "Quiet. Empty." It was slightly unnerving how silent the room was. And I was so used to hearing Seek's heartbeat when I spoke to him. Now, it was silent, and I couldn't feel my friend around me.

"I guess that's a good thing," Seek pondered. "You don't have to listen to the other entities yelling."

I laughed. "They tend to do that." Despite how great of a discovery the phones were, I found myself getting bored of the call. "I'm tired. I think I'll go get some sleep now."

Seek said, "Okay, I'll see you in a few." Then, he hung up. I was glad he pressed the button instead of leaving me to find it.

Standing from my chair, I went in the direction of the closet. Arriving near it, I pushed it out of the way and entered the tunnel. I pulled it shut and then wandered the long, stone tunnel, keeping a hand on the wall to help balance myself.

Entering the main room, I was greeted by the familiar feeling of Seek's heartbeat near me. It was comforting to feel that he was right there waiting for me. "Hello," I greeted, reaching down towards the shorter entity.

"Welcome back," Seek replied, grabbing my hand and asking, "Do you want me to help you to your room?"

"Yes," I confirmed, "I'm tired and don't want to trip." Though I wasn't being entirely truthful. I didn't want him to walk away, so I came up with an excuse for him to stay with me. I hope he doesn't think I'm rude for that.

Seek guided me across the room, holding my hand and stopping in front of what I knew was my door. He pushed it open, allowing me to slip into my room. As I stepped inside, I heard the door close. Seek's heartbeat slowly faded, moving away from my room and leaving me in silence.

I didn't feel like reading. Moving towards the edge of the room, I felt for a shelf, placing the phone onto it and falling back onto my bed. I would spend the next day protecting the hotel, and I was sure I'd be ready to do so.

I woke up the next morning, pushing my blankets off of myself and crossing the room to where the door was. Opening it, I ducked down slightly, careful not to hit my head as I walked. The main room was full of the other entities, though it sounded like they had split into smaller groups.

Jack approached me. He made a distinct sound as he walked, leading Ambush and Glitch with him. "We're all taking a break today," he explained. "Do you mind if we sit in the library for a while?"

"I'd like the company," I decided, beginning my trek to the library. "But if any humans come along, let me handle it."

"Of course," Jack and the others agreed as I entered the tunnel to the library. Keeping a hand on the wall, I soon felt wood in front of me. I pushed the closet away, feeling the familiar open air of the library.

I sat in my chair as usual, feeling for the books on my desk. Some of the books were smaller, while others seemed to be long novels. Jack, Ambush, and Glitch were all walking around the room. Assuming they were looking for books, I patiently waited for them to decide on some.

Soon, I heard Jack approaching me. The loud entity placed a book on the desk and said, "I'll take this one."

"What book is it?" I asked.

I heard Jack lift the book and flip it over to see the title. After a moment, he responded, "Research on Paranormal Beings".

Grinning, I remembered, "Oh, I have a braille copy of that one. It's all about ghosts and entities, like us! I hope you enjoy it."

Jack thanked me, but I didn't hear the entity walk away. Instead, he remained by the desk, questioning, "Did the phones work yesterday?"

I recalled how I had used the phone to speak with Seek the previous day. "Yes," I replied, "they worked just fine, and Seek's voice was super clear. I just wish he stopped by this morning before going to his hallway..." My voice trailed off when I remembered how strange the phone call had felt.

"You and Seek hang out a lot," Jack remarked.

"Yeah!" I exclaimed. "He's such a good friend." Suddenly, I felt embarrassed, turning away and angling my head towards the floor.

Jack chuckled and began walking away. "Okay," he called as he moved to the far end of the library. I then heard the door open. It closed, and then silence engulfed the room.

Jack POV

"Did you hear that?" I asked excitedly. Ambush remained silent, and Glitch shrugged. I told them, "Figure wishes Seek came to visit him. He spoke so fondly of him. Do you know what this means? I bet Figure likes him!"

After hearing what I had to say, Ambush and Glitch both nodded in agreement. Ambush wondered, "What can we do about it?"

I thought for a moment. What could we do? Getting an idea, I explained, "It seems like Figure hasn't realized his feelings yet. We have to help him with that first."

As if my idea didn't answer anything, Glitch questioned, "How do we do that?"

"Simple," I started, "we talk about Seek around him. Getting him to think about the guy will speed up the process."

Turning to my friends for answers, I inquired, "Anyone have ideas as to what we do next?"

The room we stood in was quiet for a moment. I could tell Glitch and Ambush were deep in thought, considering this just as thoroughly as I was. Then, Glitch concluded, "It would be best for us to inform the others about our plan. Then, we can all work together to help Figure confess!"

"Of course!" I said excitedly. Glitch's idea was genius. Now, all we had to do was figure out the execution of the plan. "We'll talk to the other entities later tonight. We can send Seek to hang out with Figure so they're both out of the way."

"Sounds good," Ambush agreed.

"I won't miss it," Glitch verified.

Smiling, I felt anticipation for thecoming evening. "Then it's a plan!"

Word Count: 1139