Chapter 4

Timothy POV

Most of the other entities had gone to bed. It was only me, Rush, and Screech awake. We were still sitting around the main table, talking and laughing. Now that everyone was gone, I decided to share what I had seen earlier.

"Hey, guys," I started, catching their attention. Rush and Screech turned to me, waiting for me to speak. I slowly recalled the events I saw in the library, reporting how Figure had fallen and Seek had helped him up.

I finished the story, "And then after Seek took his hand from Figure, he was quiet for two minutes."

"Do you know what this means?" Screech asked excitedly. He didn't wait for an answer. "I bet Seek likes him!"

"Don't jump to conclusions," I warned, "I may not have seen everything correctly."

Rush shook his head, "I'm sure you did. And it makes sense. Those two spend so much time together!"

"What do we do about it?" I asked.

Screech and Rush looked at each other, and then looked down at me, both speaking the same words. "We bring them closer together, obviously!"

Seek POV

I thought today would be just another long day of chasing humans, but I was wrong. Something exciting happened when I killed two humans who were together. They both had strange rectangular objects in their pockets, which I grabbed and examined.

After a few minutes I discovered that if you tapped the object, the front of it would light up, displaying the time and a background of random shapes and colors. I decided to bring both items back to the group.

Everyone was standing around the table in the main room, staring down at it. Figure stood behind me, listening rather than looking. Everyone was confused by the things as they lit up and shut off on their own.

Then, Timothy came out of a vent, nearing the table and climbing onto it. He looked at the two objects, and then at everyone else in the room. "I know what these are!"

"What?" Everyone asked curiously.

"They're phones! I find them in drawers sometimes," Timothy explained.

Everyone went silent for a few moments. Then I asked, "Well, what do we do with them?"

"I don't know much," Timothy admitted, "but I know how to do this." With that, the small spider swiped both of the phones. Countless little icons appeared on them, and he scrolled to one labeled "Contacts". Then, he pressed on the top one and hit a small button. Suddenly, the second phone started ringing.

Still confused, I watched Timothy grab the second phone and press a button. He looked up at me, instructing, "Leave the room and talk into this."

I shrugged, deciding I should just go along with the smaller entity, no matter how little sense it made. "Alright." I grabbed the phone, crossing the main room and entering my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and spoke to the object, "Hello?"

It felt strange talking to an item, but I immediately understood when I heard gasps through the object. I spoke again, "You guys can hear me through this thing?"

I heard Figure's voice first. "That's awesome! Yes, we can!"

Realizing how useful the phones could be, I opened my door, returning to the main room. As I entered, though, I remembered we only had two. I quietly asked, "Who gets to keep them?"

Suddenly, the whole table broke into an argument, each entity talking over each other. They all wanted to have the phones to speak to their friends across the hotel.

"Ambush and I should get them!" Rush yelled. "We'll be able to coordinate our attacks that way!"

"No, me and Hide should get them!" Jack argued, "It would help us get humans out of closets."

One voice was heard above all the others. Figure reasoned, "Me and Seek should get the phones. If we do, then we'll be able to know how many humans get into the library. That would be really helpful."

"I second that," I agreed, rushing over to Figure's side. But not for the reason you mentioned.

Glancing around the table, my eye stopped as it reached Rush and Screech. They both gave each other a knowing look, Screech extending one of his tentacles to discretely point at me. Rush nodded, and then signaled Timothy.

The spider spoke, "I think that's a good idea." Rush and Screech both nodded.

Ambush glared at Rush and then shrugged. "I guess it could be a good idea," he confessed.

"Great," I said, "that's the majority. Figure and I will take the phones." Then, I turned to the taller entity. "Do you want to try them out?"

"Sure!" Figure agreed. "While you were in your room, Timothy let me use the phone. I know where the important buttons are."

I nodded, then stopped myself and spoke, "You can go to the library, and I'll stay here. Does that sound good?"

"Yes," Figure agreed, turning around and walking towards the tunnel out of the room. I circled around the table in the center, getting to my door and opening it. Closing the door behind me, I sat on my bed.

Outside of my room, I could hear Screech, Timothy, and Rush speaking to each other. The three were keeping their voices down, which wasn't normal for any of them. Are they trying to hide something?

It didn't matter. For now, I grabbed my phone, unlocked it, and went to my contacts. Excited, I pressed the "Call" button and waited.

Word Count: 922