Chapter 7

Figure POV

I eagerly waited for Seek to enter the room, standing beside my desk. Then, to my delight, I heard the wardrobe in the corner of the room shift. Out of it came footsteps moving closer. I immediately recognized them as Seek's.

"Seek!" I smiled, running towards him. Though I had just been talking to him using the phone, it felt as if I hadn't spent time with him in forever. As I reached him, I stopped, wondering what to do now. Reaching out my arm, I patted Seek on the back.

"It's good to see you," Seek responded contently. The shorter entity pulled away and began to cross the room, moving towards the desk where I normally stayed. I followed, sitting down in my chair and relaxing.

Seek sat down in the chair he usually used, sighing. "I'm going to have to go do my job soon."

"I know," I added, "but you may as well get it done. Then, we'll have more time later."

Leaning back in my chair, I thought about how lucky I was to have Seek around. He was so helpful, carrying books for me, reading to me, and helping me when I fell. He's always there for me, so I'll always be there for him.

Suddenly, the room was filled with noise. It made my head spin. Loud static sounds overwhelmed me, causing me to shake my head violently. Standing, I tried to escape the sound. I lifted my hands, attempting to block out the loud noise. To my dismay, I couldn't feel my surroundings, not even Seek's heartbeat. Did he leave?

Just when I felt the noise was too much, it stopped. The room was silent except for one quiet noise, the sound of Seek's heartbeat. I was relieved to know the entity was so close, standing right beside me. One of his arms was around me, steadying me as I spoke.

Shaking, I slowly asked, "Did you hear that too?"

Seek replied, "Yes. And I saw something..." his voice trailed off. "Must have just been a shadow," he reasoned. "For now, we need to make sure you're okay."

With Seek's help, I was able to sit down and relax. He had backed up a bit, letting me find my balance on my own. I was so thankful that he was there to help me when I needed it. If he hadn't been right beside me, I may have fallen and injured myself.

"Are you alright?" Seek asked after I had calmed down.

Nodding, I replied, "Yes. But I'm curious as to what that was."

Seek was silent for a moment, and then rationalized, "The hotel glitches sometimes. I bet it was just something like that."

I glanced down, adding darkly, "Maybe that's what happens when someone uses the elevator. Just loud, screeching sound that you can't escape."

Reaching out his hand, Seek nudged me. Shaking my head, I cleared my mind and turned to him as he spoke. "Well, then we should make sure nobody ever uses that elevator. I have to do my job. Will you be fine here?"

"Yes," I reassured Seek, "but maybe bring your phone in case something does happen."

"Of course," Seek crossed the room. As he slid the closet out of the way, he finished, "I'll see you later."

Before I could respond, the shorter entity had pulled the closet closed behind him. However, the room wasn't completely silent. Listening closer, I could tell that it was Jack who entered while Seek was leaving.

"Good morning," Jack started when he reached my desk. I lifted my hand, trying to wave at him. After I acknowledged him, he continued, "Seek was just leaving. What were you guys talking about?"

"Books and things," I answered before changing the subject. "What do you need?"

Jack stated, "Oh, I just wanted to say that Screech, Rush, and I are going on a walk later. Do you wanna come with? You can bring anyone you want."

I thought for a moment. Taking a walk around the hotel could help me learn to navigate it without as much help. But that didn't mean I wouldn't have any help around. "I'll bring Seek," I decided.

"Good," Jack's voice started to grow further away. "I mean, I'll see you then!"

That was strange. What did he mean by 'good'? Was he planning to bring Seek either way, and I just made his job quicker? It's probably nothing.

But then, my thoughts were brought to Seek. He was so helpful earlier, and even the small sound of his heartbeat was comforting. I remembered how warm the shorter entity's hand was when he helped me after I fell. I wanted to feel that again.

Then, it hit me. Was I in love with Seek?

Shaking my head, I lifted my hand, feeling for the desk in front of me. I grabbed a braille book and read the title. I would just read until a human came along. Reading would stop me from having those thoughts, right?

Screech POV

As the human ahead of me left the room I was in, I sighed. Looks like another one escaped.

I heard Rush's voice behind me. "You let another one get away?" He intended it as a joking insult, so I knew he wasn't genuinely angry.

"It's your fault it made it here in the first place!" I retorted. "Don't think I don't know what happened on door twelve!"

Just then, a whisper cut into our argument. "I'm here to send a message."

Turning to the closet in the corner of the dark room, I floated towards it. "What is it, Hide?" I questioned.

Hide replied, "Jack wanted to say that Figure and Seek are joining you guys on your walk later." He commented, "I still don't know why you're interested in that, Screech. I didn't think you were the type to- "

"Alright, that's enough," I concluded, hovering away from the closet. Then, I turned to Rush, exclaiming, "Our plan worked! You know what to do once we actually get them out of the library, right?"

"Of course!" Rush confirmed. He looked down the hallway ahead, seeing lights flicker. He grinned. "That's my cue! I'll see you later!" Then, he rushed down the hallway, leaving a trail or broken glass behind him.

My smile widened as I thought about the plan we had in place. This has to work!

Word Count: 1070