Chapter 1 - Zero Hashura and Dunia

"Wake up, Zero." The sound of a goddess's voice reverberated inside my ears.

"Lichtia-sama...? What are you doing here?"

I got up from my bed and stretched my body. It was a beautiful morning in the city of Ilram. The birds were happily chirping, and the sunlight was perfect to revitalize any non-morning person. I can hear the bustling sounds of carriage wheels from merchants and travelers alike who were traversing the road outside.

"This is probably the last time that I'll be able to take physical form in this world. I thought I'd spend the final hours with my cute servant." 

No, I wasn't being figurative when I called Lichtia-sama a goddess. She was literally a goddess.

"I appreciate the gesture, Lichtia-sama. I suppose you'll be busy with your duties as a goddess back in the Realm of Gods. I'm still not confident about being left alone, but I'm pretty sure I can get by on my own."

"Humu, humu. It's good to be independent, but I'll miss having you rely on me~." Lichtia-sama's white dress swayed as she puffed her chest in pride.

"Please don't make it sound like I've been relying on you for years..."

It's only been two days says since I was transported into Dunia, which is the name of this world. It would've been a grueling journey to try and live here without any guidance, but Lichtia-sama was there for me. Well, I guess that much is obvious since she was the one who brought me here, in the first place.

And besides... I was already familiar with this world.

Lichtia-sama trotted out of the room with a smile.

"Let's go and have breakfast, shall we?"

"Are you sure about walking down like that? The other guests will faint from your aura, you know?"

"Ah, I almost forgot." Lichtia-sama stiffened up before disabling her godly aura.

"What about your outfit?" 

Her clothes weren't made for an ordinary human being. Even if Lichtia-sama removed her aura, she would still be the most noticeable person in the entire inn. And to be honest, the grandiosity of her looks beats even that of nobility or royalty. 

"Oh, right. I should change my appearance again."

With a flick of a finger, Lichtia-sama's clothes turned into that of an ordinary middle-class citizen. However, her beauty is something that will never change.

"You're as forgetful as ever, Lichtia-sama, or rather, Lumiere-san."

"Please don't make it sound like you've been putting up with it for years..."

This was my only third day as Lichtia-sama's servant, but I already feel a certain amount of familiarity with her. At first, I thought I was in for a loudmouthed and narcissistic master, but she was surprisingly easy to get along with. It's probably because I'm her first and only servant.

"Good morning, Zero-sama, Lumiere-sama." A presentable elderly man greeted us as we walked down the stairs.

I can already hear the awed reactions of the guests who were eating their breakfast. 

"Good morning, Helmer-san. Zero and I would like to have our meal." Despite her modest appearance, Lichtia-sama's perfect beauty and impeccable manners garnered the admiration of every guest inside the inn.

"Certainly," replied Helmer-san. "Your meals are almost ready. Please do relax at your table."

I guided Lichtia-sama by hand as his loyal servant. Right now, I am the butler of Lumiere Beaumont de La Fontaine, the second daughter of a foreign duke who set out for an adventure. 

Well, that role will probably end today.

"Forgive us for making you wait. Please enjoy our special breakfast course." Helmer-san bowed after serving the food.

"Oh please, Helmer-san. You're being too polite. As the owner of Cathedral Insomnia, Ilram City's number one inn, you didn't have to go as far as to personally serve us our meals."

"How modest of you, Lumiere-sama, but this is the tradition that my family had established. It is our joy to personally serve customers of noble blood."

His butler outfit really suited his aged appearance. It carries the experience he'd accumulated over the years. I wonder if Helmer-san has a wife or a kid who'll inherit the inn once he passes.

"My, how sedulous. You must've taught your successor a thing or two by now."

Lichtia-sama's question wasn't surprising. As her Servant, she can freely read my thoughts on a surface level. Perhaps my curiosity affected hers, too.

"Well, my only daughter left the kingdom two years ago when she turned sixteen. I suppose my five-year-old son would become my successor."

"I'm sure you'll do an excellent job of training him in the future," she replied with a smile.

"I am unworthy of those words."

After Helmer-san left, Lichtia-sama and I quietly ate our meal.

"How thoughtful," she commented.

We were served with egg white omelets and bircher muesli with blueberry cookies on the side. They were amazingly light and delicious, a perfect breakfast for those who just want to relax. 

It was great for Lichtia-sama, but I will be a bit busier today. A heavier breakfast would've been ideal. That said, I can't complain about the quality. The best chefs in the city were working here, after all.

"Would you like to rest inside your room for today, Lumiere-sama?"

"That would be best, yes. I am still quite tired after exploring the city yesterday."

"Thank you for your assistance, Helmer-san. As Lumiere-sama-- I mean Lumiere-san's companion, I would like to learn your ways in my growth as a butler."

"I'm grateful for your words, Zero-sama, but you are also a respected guest. Please do not hesitate to call me if you need anything. The message orbs in your room are always available for use."

Lichtia-sama sighed heavily as I locked the door of our room.

"The young Lumiere was shocked to receive a message from her homeland. Her father had suddenly fallen ill, and she must return quickly to be by his side. Zero, her butler, will be tasked to become an Adventurer. Her father's illness was an extremely rare one. The cure wasn't produced commercially, mainly because of its main ingredient. The Santalum flower was an exotic flower that can only grow on top of the Tarragon Mountain Range. It will be Zero's mission to collect as much of this flower before Lumiere's father succumbs to his illness." She dramatically narrated the fabricated story behind Lumiere's abrupt disappearance.

"You're surprisingly into it," I said.

"I think it's a beautiful story. I'm sure Lumiere will miss her lovable butler~."

"Zero will miss his adorable mistress, too."

Lichtia-sama lightly blushed, not out of embarrassment, but out of pure happiness. I knew I was right, because if I wasn't, then she would've retorted to me.

"The realm of gods is currently in disarray. Our time together will be cut short, but I will always be your Master. Once the unrest wanes, I will return and guide you to become a proper Servant of the God of Light."

"Yes, Lichtia-sama. I, Zero Hashura, will be awaiting your return." I knelt and sincerely gave her my goodbye.

"Live and enjoy your new life. Since you want to become an Adventurer, then you should be the greatest Adventurer in this era. That's the least you could be as my Servant."

I smiled at the words of my cheeky master. Her goddess outfit was glowing and her godly aura was in full force. If it weren't for the barriers she set up, everyone in the city would've been out cold by now. A bright flash of light appeared before everything went back to normal. Lichtia-sama was gone. I could sense her life force, but not her presence. This meant that we weren't in the same realm anymore.

"Sigh... Now I'm all alone," I muttered, lying on the bed. "Well, I don't think that'll be the case for long. Once I meet them, my new life as an Adventurer will officially begin."