Chapter 11 - Secure

ابدأ من البداية

"Shh," he whispered, reaching forward and taking the curtain from my hand. "Dunna move, Christine. Ye're badly hurt and I would hate to see ye' hurt any further."

He helped me move back down onto my pillows, being sure to support me at my back and neck. I closed my eyes for a moment, taking a few deep breaths and trying to calm my racing heart. "What happened to me? Where am I? What time is it? Hell, Ivan, what day is it?" Questions flew from my lips like the scattered thoughts in my head.

"Shh," he scolded again, causing my mouth to close and stop any more questions. "One of McLeod's men strangled ye' and badly bruised yer chest. Ye' were cold as death when we brought you back. Ye're extremely lucky to even be awake." Ivan sighed, clasping both of his hands over one of my own. His brown hair flopped in his eyes. Even in the dim candlelight I could tell he had barely gotten any sleep. "Ye're in the infirmary now, and it's late, so ye' should be getting back to sleep. Ye' have been here for two days now, unconscious. My brothers have drifted in and out to see ye', hoping that ye' will wake. I..." He looked down with a sigh. "I feared ye' wouldn't wake. So I've barely left this seat since we brought ye' in."

I shook my head, gently raising a hand and running my thumb across the bags under his eyes. "If anyone needs sleep," I whispered, my voice hollow and raspy, "it's you." I smiled weakly, my eyes softening. Ivan was the only brother I had become close to since I arrived in this time. He was gentle, kind, and the only logical one among them. If anything, though, he was like the little brother I never had. And while he worried for my health, I worried for his in return. "Have you even slept since I was brought back here?"

He grimaced and shook his head. "How could I?" He asked. Obviously, this was rhetoric, so I didn't answer. I simply lowered my hand from his face and took his, my eyes softening before closing. I felt his fingers curl around my hand before his other hand rested on top, sandwiching my hand between his.

I started to drift off again before completely falling asleep.

I opened my eyes. Around me, heather swayed in the breeze, the grasses tickling my legs. I wore a dress, all white, the skirt going to my knees. The sleeves went to my wrists but split by the time they got to my elbows. My hair was pulled back into a bun at the nape of my neck, and what felt like holly leaves were laced randomly in my hair. I looked around at the landscape, then somewhere in the distance, I heard the ocean clashing against the cliffs.

I followed the sound of the waves, my mind distant, my movements feeling fluid. I made no sound as I walked amongst the plants. A couple of monarchs fluttered around my body before settling on the top of my head like a crown. I stopped for a moment and let them perch in my hair before I moved again, and they continued on their way.

I walked aimlessly towards the ocean, towards the cliff. I kept my eyes on my feet for most of the walk, but as I neared the cliff I looked up. My heart almost leapt out of my chest at the sight before me.

A man, just under six feet tall stood on the cliff. His white button up shirt was open, the two sides flapping with the wind. His brown pants were a bit baggy and the waistband was settled on his hips. I could see the band of his boxers just under his abs as my eyes rose up his chest, and finally, to his face. His smile was unmistakable, his green eyes and honey-blonde hair so known to me that I didn't even have to think about it before I knew who it was.

"Logan!"

I ran up the cliff towards him, tears forming in my eyes as I watched him open his arms. I ran into his chest, throwing my arms around his neck, gladly accepting his embrace.

"Hello, Chris," he whispered right before his lips captured mine.

His kiss was heavenly. Soft, warm, and passionate. His lips were like cushions against mine, granting me a blessing that I had been wishing for over the past two weeks. Tears still streamed down my cheeks as I kissed him back, circulating warmth in my chest. I would have been satisfied if I died right here and now.

"I thought I had lost you," I whispered when we finally did part.

"No, my love," he said. "Even if time separates us, I will always be with ye'. Now and always."

"You swear?" I pulled back to look at him. I knew this wasn't real, but I needed to hear him say it. Even if the hope of being able to see him again was false, it was something I could cling to.

"I cross my heart." As he said this, he made and "x" over his chest with my finger. His hand encircled my wrist and his other arm wrapped tightly around my waist as his face buried into my neck. "I am yours, Christine Calhoun," he whispered, his breath hot against my skin. It made me shiver, the sensation feeling as real as it possibly could be. "Endlessly."

I woke slowly, Logan's voice still echoing in my mind. My skin was covered with goosebumps. I saw Ivan's concerned gaze as he looked at me.

"Christine?" He asked. "Are ye' alright? Yer hands are cold and ye're pale as a ghost!"

I looked away, towards the window. Outside, the sky was painted purple and pink in the pre-dawn light. Tears formed at the corners of my eyes. Oh, Logan, I thought. I'll never see you again, will I? No matter what I do or try...you're just too far from my reach...

"I-I'm fine," I whispered to Ivan, who was still watching me with worry. "I-It was only a dream..."

He visibly relaxed though he could see the pain in my eyes. Gently, he helped me sit up and he pulled me into his arms. "Ye' miss him, don't ye'?"

I had told Ivan about Logan when he caught me looking at the sketch of him that I had drawn before I left. I hid it in my violin at all times, pulling it out only when I was desperate and had to see his face...which was just about every other hour. Though when I explained that Logan was the first person that I had loved and was bound to be my husband one day, I had to cover up and say that he was taken from me. I didn't be specific on how, not knowing if I should have said if he left, was taken away, found another woman, or just died altogether.

I pressed my face into his shoulder, nodding weakly. "Yes," I gasped before starting to sob my heart out.

"Shhh..." he whispered, smoothing a hand over my hair. "It's alright...ye're safe here, lass...He will always be with ye', no matter what."

Safe...

That's right. I was going to be safe here. Alan wasn't hunting me down and looming over my shoulder. My mother was safe from death (if Alan had kept up his end of the bargain). When I was here, no one was going to hurt me. The world was cold, but not as cold as my life before. This was my life now. And for just a little while, it was stable.

I fell asleep again as Ivan whispered quiet reassurances, and for once, I actually felt like I belonged here.

Maybe this would turn out to be better than I could have ever thought.

Short I know but I needed to sort of make a conclusion after the big conflict with the McLeods. It will get interesting again, don't worry! Things will get interesting veeeeeery fast ( ~ o x o ) ~
- E